Sports Faves

I was trying to recall my favorite players in different fields and I realized that the 1992 Olympic games left a lasting impression. Most of the most liked sports icons in my list gained popularity in the 90s.

Let me start with gymnastics favorites Shannon Miller and Dominique Dawes.
 


  Locally, during that time Bea Lucero was the face of MILO.


 I grew up also watching the success stories of track and field athletes Lydia de Vega and Elma Muros;


 
and Olympic silver medalist for boxing, Onyok Velasco.



Mikee Cojuangco Jaworski is the only equestriane I know until I dug up info about Kate Upton whom I have watched in the comedy film, The other Woman.




My grandfather influenced me to watch boxing and billiards hence I grew up fond of pool masters Efren Bata Reyes and Django Bustamante.


 Boxing matches on Sundays are one of a kind if it features Luisito Espinosa and Manny Pacquiao.


News about six-time World Bowling champion Rafael "Paeng" Nepomuceno and chess grandmaster Eugene Torre are always inspiring.



Akiko Thomson was my key player for swimming until inspiring stories about Michael Phelps came.




I don't think I'll research about Tony Hawk if my brothers were not hooked on skateboarding and Avril Lavigne did not release Skaterboi song.



I've always dreamt of cycling but not as high as Lance Armstrong's record.


There was a time too that I was fond of baseball and followed Tim Lincecum of San Francisco Giants.


My father influenced me to watch the coverage of Olympics, Asean games and SEA games. If ESPN experienced shortage of sports analysts they may count on my father. He'd gladly share what he knows especially in tennis and basketball.

The first time I heard about tennis, Andre Agassi was the most popular.



 The second time I heard about the game was when Mandy Moore was reportedly dating Andy Roddick.


The third time, I focused on tennis because sisters Venus Willliams and Serena Williams were making Martina Hingis' run for number one rank a difficult one.


 Look, Martina's only 18 when she tried to beat these equally amazing girls.


Today, Martina looked alike Natalie Portman, gorgeous!



Then came Maria Sharapova, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal being impersonated humorously by Novak Djokovic, hands down,  I fell in love with this man.


 Oh such a heart breaker, he's already married to Jelena Ristic.



If I were to live another life, I would like to become a tennis player.


Though I enjoy to watch every now and then a basketball game on television, nothing compares to the fanaticism I had for 1992 USA Dream team which was composed of the following NBA superstars

Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen of Chicago Bulls
John Stockton and Karl Malone of Utah Jazz
Magic johnson of LA Lakers
Larry Bird of Boston Celtics
Patrick Ewing of New york Knicks
Chris Mullin of Golden State warriors
David Robinson of San Antonio Spurs
Charles Barkley of Philadelpia 76ers
Clyde Drexler of Portland Trailblazers



I also recall collecting shining and shimmery cards before with names

Alonzo Mourning
Grant Hill
Penny Hardaway
Chris Webber
Shaquille O'Neal
Kobe Bryant

and they continue to leave a good impression since some of them visited the Philippines for exhibition games.

Whenever I watch a PBA game nowadays, I wonder if fans still collect magazines or watch out for tv shows that narrate or provide well-researched profiles of local basketball players. The Gary Granada song "Kapag nanalo ang Ginebra" was an anthem before for avid fans of Ginebra San Miguel Kings. I can still vividly recall the screams I made for Vince Hizon, Bal David and  Marlou Aquino, the hatred I have for Alaska Milkmen especially for Johnny Abarientos who never missed a basket, the excitement to see Alvin Patrimonio, Jojo Lastimosa, Richie Ticzon, Benjie Paras and other icons who participate in all star game. What was crazier was I do recall too the names of coaches of other teams since I blame them  whenever GSM loses hahaha...



The last time I cheered for GSM Kings was when they lost the Commissioner's Cup playoff to Formula Shell. That buzzer beating three-point shot of import Kenny Redfield was a terrible nightmare/sleepless night ever that I even had a toothache.I really hate that .06 second shot.

Then I switched to San Miguel Beermen and followed Nic Belasco, Danny Siegel and Danny Ildefonso. Olsen Racela is in the pic :D






I've always enjoyed watching volleyball since high school but I was not that fanatic until I watched sisters Dindin Manabat and Jaja Santiago play the game.


I really miss those days that there were reports about Filipino athletes well-known not only in SEA games but they reached Olympics victoriously. The last good news we heard was from figure skater Michael Martinez and his journey was really  heartbreaking at the same time an  inspiring story.



Today, I don't watch much of any sports games but if I do get time, I find watching sports on television always a time well-spent.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iDate

Bandmaster

Pinoy TV Shows