Rundown of Influences in Music, Favorite Artists and Unique Songs

During my elementary, my playlist was limited to old songs played by my grandfather or the hits played by local radio stations. I even joined radio contests hahaha and won a mug and a box of noodles from 96.3 Sigaw. There were funny mistakes too in identifying Power 93 not sure if it was Killer bee or V but I know they're popular in the 90s.

I was thankful that my grandfather had a huge collection of songs played on turntable, cassette and cd player.

Sunday morning started with orchestra hits or songs played by a marching band during fiesta so imagine the festive mood in our house. Then, it will be followed by dances. Boogie, cha cha, swing , name it, my lolo could recommend an artist.

Instrumentals were also a favorite. Love Henry Mancini's piano hits, Kenny G's songs which were usually used in beauty pageants and more. I could only recognize some  when I hear it.

There would be songs too from the Carpenters,  Frank Sinatra, Engelbert Humperdinck, Tom Jones, Connie Francis, James Ingram, Michael Bolton, George Benson, Nat King Cole, Pilita Corales, Victor Wood, VST & Co. and more.

Weirdest but felt luckiest, my lolo had a copy of Rumpelstiltskin which he played via turntable.

My elementary playlist included Smokey Mountain, Apo Hiking Society, Asin, Sharon Cuneta and Rey Valera. What had I been singin' hahaha...

It's sad that my lolo wasn't able to listen to John Legend and Ed Sheeran. My lolo died in 2007. Mang Islaw was the most nostalgic song about my lolo; the first rap song in the Philippines which I heard via turntable.

My favorite dance memory, feeling Hwang Jini , was when I dance 99 Luft Balloons, Footloose and I couldn't remember the song with God speed lyrics. I  imagined that time that I was part of Repertory Philippines hahaha. Oh I miss my very first red cassettte player!

It was also funny to recall that I recorded Luha of Aegis in a cassette to be sent to my father who is in Saudi hahaha...

My transition from elementary to high school were best represented by Cindi Lauper, Madonna, Spice Girls and Ace of Base. I will share the Ace of Base songs that I memorized with full effort in another post hahaha...

The dances, How gee, Macarena, Lick it., Ice ice baby  reminded me of my mother's graduation in Princess Institute. Aqua,Venga Boys and the hits Asereje, My Heart Goes Shalala, and Mr. Boombastic bring back happy memories.

My aunt influenced me to listen to rock songs and made Bryan Adams a favorite. I guess I won't appreciate Barbara Streisand had she not performed duet with Bryan Adams in Finally Found Someone and Celine Dion in Tell Him.

High school was filled with choices suggested by my classmates.

Big part of campaigns for student councils are Hanson's MMMbopp and Miss you Like Crazy by the Moffats .

 I joined the school's Glee Club and until now I hum and sing some of the songs I learned especially those that  we sang for doxology :D I also learned to sing kundiman, ethnic songs and the pieces we used for competitions like NAMCYA. Those experiences were so cool :D

The I'll be Missing you performance was one of the best; we sang and dance at the same time and take note it is R&B. Glee Club didn't usually do that during that time :D

Also, Savage Garden's  Truly, Madly Deeply reminds me all the time of my choir mates.

High school was also the time wherein most of my male classmates  were studying to play guitar, I often hear them try their luck to sing the songs of Eraserheads, Parokya ni Edgar ,Rivermaya, Grin department, Siakol, Rizal Underground, Teeth, Color it Red, Put3ska and more . I'll do a separate post for OPM rock bands :D 

High School is full of boybands too like BSB, NSync, West life, Boyzone and A1 so I think I need another post for those hotshots.

Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Destiny's Child were on the rise too. I even listened to Brandy, Anggun, Robyn, Whigfield and Monica. My love for Madonna also grew. I choreographed  Like a prayer for a Christmas party program when I was in Grade one :D

My ultimate favorite during high school was Alanis Morisette. I memorized the whole Jagged little pill album.

Lastly, high school was memorable because of our Science subject initiated concert which aimed to spread awareness on saving Mother Earth. Most of the songs that we use were sang by Michael Jackson. That concert was amaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing !

Before I let you Go by Freestyle and No one Else Comes Close by Joe are my favorite prom songs.

College came, my playlists were full of everything I hear on the radio. I still love boybands, added Celine Dion, Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sara Sadler, Pink, Natalie Imbruglia, and Tina Arena.

I listened to F4 songs  because of Meteor Garden and 5566 songs because of MVP Valentine.

I listened to classic rock, slow rock, alternative, punk, grunge, everything that rocks :D

My brother had a cd that had this playlist which I played a lot of times:

Plush of Stone Temple Pilots, Selling the Drama by Live, Ever since the world began and the search is over by Survivor, Losin' my Religion by REM, Don't Dream it's over by Crowded House,  I only wanna be with you by Hootie and the Blowfish, To be with you by Mr. Big, Every Breath you take by the Police, Somebody by Depeche Mode, Gin blossoms, The Prince,


My daily commute to school won't be complete without Air Supply, Bon Jovi and the tearjerky Peter Cetera's Glory of love which got me because of the Karate Kid movie...can't help but swoon over Ralph Maccio and follow Pat Morita's movies as well hahaha...


I even listened to Eminem and Dido hahaha..Love Stan a lot plus the video features the once super hot hearththrob Devon Sawa. Jewel was also part of my super sad and full of angst playlist.

There are mellow songs that made me imaginative and inspired me to write a lot. Those songs
  were  Lost in Space by Lighthouse Family, and The Distance by Evan and Jaron

Top on my college playlist was alternative rock so I'll be sharing that long list in another post.

I was about to graduate in college when I  collected with full of effort the official soundtrack and lyrics of  anime, dramas, films and even cartoons.

I would like to make a separate post on those soundtracks , there are lots that I can't list them down in one post.

Felt like I was a dj when I worked in Metro so I got to play the songs I like. Metro days made me love lounge music, bossa nova artists and acoustic. I must say my love for acoustic grew because of best bud in my first job, Faye.


Memorable songs were Mariah Carey's All I wish for Christmas, Milkyway's Life is a Bitch, Celine Dion's Another Year has Gone by, Wonderwall by Oasis, Tell me how you feel by Joy Enriquez, Officially Missing you by Tamia and I can't even remember one song but I remember playing Jars of Clay album in full during my shift.

My first four years in teaching,  I was a Spongecola fan. Also, I downloaded themes of RAN online game; love the EXP song. Hmm, let me do a post of my fave online games too hahaha...

Thalia's song I want you was one unique song I often look for.

I "survived" the ups and downs of teaching  (first phase) with Incubus, Dashboard confessional, All American rejects, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Nickelback, Simple Plan, Hoobastank, True faith, Kamikazee, The Used, Yeng Constantino, Kitchie Nadal, Mojofly, Wickermoss, Moonstar 88, Kelly Clarkson, David Cook, Mayonnaise, My Chemical Romance, Itchyworms, Join da Club, Rico Blanco, Calla Lily, Pussycat Dolls, Beyonce, FOB, Paramore and Blessed Union of Souls.

My playlist during Sitel days include Chris Brown, Neyo, Paramore, and Urbandub, 

I survived post "Sitel days" listening to Spongecola,  Urbandub, Paramore, FOB, AAR, Dashboard, Mayday Parade, Timbaland, Keisha Cole, Amber Davis, Chicosci, Beyonce and Nickelback.

The ultimate umay song in my playlist was Maldita's Por Que, a Chavacano-tagalog song which made me twist my tongue a lot in chorus part. I sang it while playing chess or mahjong on my netbook hahaha.

I enjoyed my CTV 6 days supplying background music using mostly Justin Bieber Songs and any song that hits number one that time. Loved dance mixes too from David Guetta and soundtracks of  dance movies .

I "survived" teaching (second phase) listening to Incubus, Paramore, FOB, AAR, Dashboard, RJA, Simple plan, One Republic, Rascal Flatts, Adele, Nicole Scherzinger, Enrique Iglesias, James Morrison, Justin Timberlake,  Bruno Mars, Carly Rae Jepsen, Sarah Geronimo, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Keisha, Kelly Clarkson, Selena Gomez, Boyce Avenue, Demi Lovato.

My love for bossa nova grew especially for Sitti because my students often use her songs to replace Kenny G's songs for beauty pageants. I love Sabrina too.

I started shipping kpop on my second attempt to teach hence the following are my favorites until I became a banker for a year: CNBLUE, SNSD, Super Junior, T-ARA, Sistar as influenced by bandmaster and idate online games and the dramas I have watched.

From banker to bummer, I became a Big Bang fan and I appreciated 2ne1  and Sistar more. Added on my playlists were songs of Arianna Grande, Ed Sheeran. Oh I  love Taylor Swift's 1989 album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iDate

Bandmaster

Koreanovelas (Part 1)