Koreanovelas (Part 4)


Here is the continuation of the list of Korean dramas that I don't mind watching a  number of times just to experience again that crazy heart beat especially when OTPs go all the way expressive, meeting all expectations.

1. Third Rate My Way/ Fight My Way

Never thought that She Was Pretty can be replaced by this current favorite. This show met all the kinds of drama tropes I can't resist.

this is heartbreaking for Park Hye Ran

Each character was well-written, with relatable struggle, realistic transformation and unpredictable solutions to situations you also experience.I loved the character development in this drama. The flashbacks were carefully placed to reinforce the mood and help the story move forward. The pacing was smooth and fast that you would keep on wondering if there is a loophole 'til you watch the next episode. Plus the scenes when they were kids were so adorable.


It has the right blend of emotions. You'll laugh at the characters' simplicity, you'll cry for their hopelessness and cheer them on as their fight their way out.


I loved everything in this show- production design, editing, location, lighting and music.The outfits, especially the tees worn by Dong Man were cute. Loved it more when Dong Man hesitates to take his shirt off before his fight :D

I thought Goblin was perfect in all aspects and a drama like that can only be achieved through lots of effort and by being so meticulous in so many details but this drama, wow, simple but moving in every frame.

It reflected exactly my thoughts about failure, disappointment, and discouragement. I loved how this drama presented through comparison the different types of couples we meet in real life.  The transition from friends to lovers as opposed to a couple who weathered six years together but they decided to break up-such break up felt like you were the unknown third party who watched them love and crumble at the same time.Oh I feel so bad for Seol-hee and Joo-man!


I got hooked in this drama just like how I fell in love with Yongpal wherein I gave a review though the show is still ongoing. I really wish that this drama achieves its 30 % goal in ratings though there are only 4 episodes left.Can't wait for the final ep to show  that the four leads achieved their dreams- Dongman, from taekwondo athlete to MMA fighter, Aera as an announcer, Seol-hee as a mom and Joo-Man as a successful manager.

The friendship displayed in this drama was truly enviable.The characters were so good in showing the viewers what is it like to love without reservations and regrets. I really wished that I have a best friend like Dongman. Oh my crazy heart goes wild for Park Seo Joon as Dongman and Kim Ji Won as Choi Aera. Fighting!


2. Suspicious Partner

I watched Suspicious Partner mainly because I had a crush on Ji Chang-wook in K2.

This drama reminded me of Peemak in a way that I laugh at the supportive smirk of Chief Bang and Chief Byung, I get teary-eyed on Eun Hyuk's attempts to be friends again with Ji-Wook, I am really scared and curious at the same time on who the killer is.

I can't forget how Hyun-soo gave me goosebumps whenever he secretly smiles or stares at Ji-wook and Bong Hee.Most reviewers will name Nam Gyu Man in Remember: War of the Son as the most/ exceptionally evil villain but in this drama, Hyun Soo beats him with every twist on the plot he makes. He is so clever and unpredictable that he can turn an event into his advantage.He is so creepy.


I loved how transparent and brave Bong Hee was with her feelings. Ji-Wook was an irresistible hug machine.


This drama didn't waste time. I was always surprised that each character reacts differently in a difficult situation. I loved how the characters work together to solve the cases they encounter. Each cliffhanger never fails to satisfy the suspense the drama has built as the next episode quickly resolves what needs to be answered right away. The agony to know more was what has kept me hooked in this drama.

Of course, who would get tired of Chang-Wook's charms and Eun hyuk's messiah complex which is slowly growing on me. Aside from the swoon-worthy romantic moments of  Changwook and Ji Hyun,  I learn a lot from this show and the way the drama explains the law, it felt like it is truly useful though I don't live in South Korea.This show is also ongoing as of this writing.


3. Goblin

This drama was so unique from the theme down to the last detail of production. I loved how this drama explored my favorite topics- life, fate, death,sin, memories, choices, grief and destiny then these were fused with fantasy, history and myth. While I was watching this drama, it felt like I had a spiritual journey.

felt like I talked to God

the magic of being transported in time and place


unfolding a mystery through shift in time

living to die as opposed to dying in order to live

I convinced my sister to watch this by saying 'walang  tapon na eksena' ( no scene was wasted).  It felt like I have to watch every thing to appreciate every thing it wants to convey. I love how this show drove me to think a lot to interpret every thing. Every thing makes sense. The repetition of flashbacks seemed to be annoying but that absurd feeling of discovering the past of the characters bit by bit wherein the characters also represented bigger tropes  reminded me of why I love Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot.In short, this drama has a lot of room for personal discovery and interpretation. Can't find the exact words to summarize all the garbage I can think of. :D

Appreciated Kim So Hyun in this drama
I love the heart-wrenching experience of crying a lot because of extreme sadness -the screams of Eun Tak looking for Kim Shin then you compare that level of grief with the kind of hopeless longing of Sunny while waiting in her store for a king she is uncertain if he will come. That irony of finding what she's been waiting for only to lose that person in the end is truly heartbreaking. You'll find her agony easy to solve but if you look deeply into her character, you'll understand why her choice was needed in the drama.


waiting


waiting


waiting


forgetting

I am a sucker for dramas that depict love that grows on you, in Goblin, you'll experience an enviable friendship between a man and another man ( Goblin and the Grim Reaper)


opposite to friendship between man and woman (Grim Reaper and Eun Tak, Eun Tak and Deokhwa)



 plus the fellowship of gods (Samshin Granny and Deokhwa).


Commendable mentorship was also seen in this drama (Grim Reaper and Goblin to Deokhwa, Deokhwa and his grandfather, Mr. Kim to Deokhwa. Sunny to Eun Tak).







I enjoyed how this drama differentiated the love journey of the two couples from the moment they met until they overcame the obstacles in their relationship.














The comparison of love that has endured centuries and a love found after centuries

Just like Peemak, this drama will make you laugh, cry and feel terrified at the same time. Love these scenes a lot...

Her wishes are so on point, hahaha. I love how she complained about having only two umbrellas at home and how difficult a raining situation is. Yeah, I love rain but really hate it if I didn't bring an umbrella so I rarely forget to bring one, one in a million occasion.
I super love the Tinkerbell line :D

This reminds me of the granny in Tom and Jerry cartoon

This reminds me of how techie I am, hahaha.Super relate :D

This reminded me of how important a business card is and the beauty of introducing your name confidently. 

the holiday greeting from non-believers, ironic right?

the love for classic
 I can still recall how scared my sister was when Park Joong -won appeared on screen as a ghost with evil spirit. She screamed out of fear in broad daylight.


This scene literally put me at the edge of my seat

This drama is perfect in every angle Cinematography wise, it is picture perfect.







Timing of music, excellent! This is the only drama I downloaded the whole album since I can't decide which song has the greatest impact. The nostalgia in each song is so strong, you'll find yourself replaying the scenes in your mind.

The way the talented cast fleshed out the well-written characters, I can't imagine another actor playing the roles of Kim Shin, Eun Tak, Sunny and Wang Yeo.This drama is a surprising treat from series of medical drama, rom-com, and melodrama.

Kim Go Eun is the perfect Eun Tak. She has that crazy shift of emotions in delivering her lines. She is a very talented actress. Her eyes speak volumes. She is so unpredictable. You'll never guess when she'll go all out melodramatic or end the scene in a funny way. I can't recall a scene wherein I got angry with her character. Her tenacity in this drama is inspiring.

Lee Dong Wook is so handsome that his role as Wang Yeo, always loved and preferred by the divinity, fits him. He was able to flesh out a convincing Grim Reaper that has a 'decent' job and a past to pay for. He was able to differentiate the king manipulated by an adviser from a Grim Reaper who fell in love with the same woman. I love how this drama emphasized through his character the blessing brought by remembering and forgetting important events in your life, the gift of having a name and a home to go home to. It showed that life without feelings and memories is a total waste. Oh my, Lee Dong Wook's tears flowed like a river. His brand of comedy is also refreshing.
Yoo In Na as Kim Sun or Sunny was the best choice. Her character is so unique and I love the different tones she used to deliver her lines as a chicken restaurant manager,  as a mentor, as a long lost sister, as an old and new friend and as a devoted lover.  She presented a totally different Sunny from Kim Sun yet you'll love both her performances.She was able to exude the charisma as required by her role. The numerous times she flipped her hair were really captivating and you'll allow yourself to be convinced that her beauty is no like other. I love how this drama through her character, explained that you can love someone because of beauty alone, echoing John Keats' line 'A thing of beauty is a joy forever.' The push and pull she had with Wang Yeo was hilarious and never thought that she can do something like that, since I remembered her as the annoying best friend of Steffi Cheon. It felt like girls had dating tips through her. Oh I envy her so tiny waist line in this drama!

Loved Sung Jae in WGM with Red Velvet's Joy and the way he sang a cover of Mamamoo's You're the best then this drama came along, wow, I was totally entertained on how he played Deokhwa. I wished for his character to have a love line with Samshin Granny, hahaha. I love the scenes where he cleans up all the mess made by the Goblin. He is the most reliable catalyst in this drama.I love how his character was used to answer the questions that viewers have in mind and whenever his character reveals something, the more you feel engaged to follow the story. It is seldom in a drama to find a character who has a business of his own to make his character grow while he helps in filling in the bits of the story to keep it more exciting.He is not in every frame but when he appears on screen, you know it is important.


Super love Lee El as Samshin Granny. I am always excited whenever she appears on screen. Her taunting seemed antagonistic at first but it turned out that she's the heroine's hidden card. She added a layer of mystery too as vegetable vendor , accessories vendor and a landlady with a grim reaper tenant. She is so gorgeous that I wanted to wear red too.


The many faces of Gong Yoo which I can't provide in this list, hahaha.

the sarcastic friend

the romantic goblin

the scared goblin

goblin with bipolar disorder

the happy goblin
Oh, I have so many thoughts about this drama that I can't gather them in one sitting, afraid that this would turn out as a case of over reading :D


4. Legend of the Blue Sea

I have high expectations from this series since this drama has two of my most favorite actors.


I loved how Lee Min-Ho and Jun Ji-hyun brought out different characters from two different periods of time but the switch in those periods came out dragging and annoying to the point that I find Se-hwa's love weak, for giving up all the time at the last minute, hence, her character which was presented amazingly strong in the first four episodes did not evolve nor had an impact especially when it was most needed in the last four episodes. The reason that she was out of the water too long made her weak was like, ah okay, got to accept it.It's like you have this super amazing character and because of love she went downhill something like that.Tragic? I find it a cliche that could've been worked around.



It felt like Shim Cheong's charm and warmth solely depends on the love she receives from Heo Joon Jae. I disliked the contradicting ideas presented in the drama. It tried to show that the courage to love despite the threat of death makes a person strong but it turned out as the reason for the character to be weak.Their choices were made to appear as the strongest option.Ha, I'm rambling.

The drama tried to weave mystery and suspense by giving hints in every episode which didn't work for me.




The I can hear the mermaid's voice without telling her was funny at some points but it made the story at the same time ridiculous to follow that's why for this drama to be engaging, you really have to suspend disbelief.


I felt the excitement of the writer to tell a unique and engaging story in the first four episodes but it came out too loaded with information hence the pacing was not smooth. Lapses in continuity and editing were too obvious that it affected the flow of the story. The attempt to withhold the curiosity sacrificed what could've been a better character development. I find it clever to anticipate the roles of the characters from the past in the present but the placement of the characters supposedly executed as the twists in present time turned out to be accessories short of emotional attachment to make the twists mind blowing or impactful. Flashbacks lacked proper timing to reinforce the mood and flow of the story.



I find it also strange that Se Hwa's character was disconnected from Shim Cheong's character, thinking if she was the same mermaid who erased Dam Ryeong's memory which contradicted to the scenes where it implied that there are two universes happening at the same time. Crazy right, but this is the kind of fantasy you signed up for in watching this drama.

I have to give a lot of credit to the actors who delivered their parts as if they really have to go through those supernatural conflicts especially Ma Dae Young. I felt that given his life was cursed from the past up to the present, his life was such a waste that I find it a relief that after all the mystery was revealed through hypnotism in the present time that he was not the one who killed Dam Ryeong and Se Hwa. I liked the attempt to draw out villains that you can also empathize with but the writer abandoned the villains' character development with justifiable angst in the present time.


I follow characters who have their own agenda, hence watching Cha Si Ah played by Kim Hye Sun end up with Tae Oh was a treat. Their love line was hilarious.





Tae Oh's silent protests and numerous pouting scenes are cute.


Kim Hye Sun was an excellent match for Jun Ji-Hyun. Love how Hye Sun turned her annoying character into a lovable one.



Her attempts to be liked by Heo Joon Jae's mom were very funny.

This drama got me lovin' and hatin' Nam Doo. I always wondered if he is an enemy or a friend.


this kind of connivance/bromance went dry and forced

The reunion of Heo Joon Jae and his mother was worth the tears.


Havin' a homeless lady but a fashionista mentor was an additional spice,

loved Hong Jinkyung in Unnies so it is a bonus to watch her in this series

This super young friend had  a secret twist in the end.



The part that I was almost convinced that Heo Chi Hyun played by charming Lee Ji Hoon was harmless kept me hoping 'til the end.


I wished that this drama continued havin' an epilogue to explain the povs of the characters. I loved how the past relationship of Heo Joon Jae's mother with her present time madame was revealed.




What made this drama kept the hype are the cameo roles of f(x)'s Crystal, Lee Min Ho's mother in The Heirs, the super charming Jo Jung Suk and adorable Seulgi, both actors from Oh My Ghostess. I was expecting more from Cha Tae Hyun's cameo role. It just felt that something's missing.







Jinyoung, who played the young Dam Ryeong and Heo Joon Jae is a surprise eye candy. My sister liked him a lot in My love, Donna.



The bits I love in this drama are the disguises of con artists,








the brand of laughter that only Jun Ji-Hyun can deliver

unique way of hiding in the closet and take note, the scene is bright and full of colors


what a way to display that she has to adapt

another way to displayway of coping

that lollipop

what it's like to be coy

that matrix way of learning

so ji sub 

a legend copying a legend

the hunch that this must've inspired strong woman do bong soon's story


when you try not to over do action scenes

reminding viewers that she is a mermaid on land

fashionista in the ocean, very consistent

the line where she complained  how much more does she have to swim is so funny


how to eat a cake without sharing

Sadako reference

who would've thought that she'll bite Hye Sun's finger

the envelope scene

loved the way she played her eyeglasses

was really scared that her secret will be revealed in this ep

the scenes that would make you cry with Jun Ji-Hyun


the scenes that seemed unfit for Lee Min Ho but surprised me and found him entertaining

he's so full of himself


impressed on how Lee Min Ho kept his balance in this scene


his pronunciation of the word disgusting and seldom do I find his hair brushed up

oh that ramyun rant :D

deleting photos in a phone he doesn't own and giggling  over what he did

the crazy sauna night

the I can hear Shim Cheong's mind  that's why I can't sleep

the I don't want my memories be erased run

the scenes that hit the soft spot in me

those tired and wounded feet


the pain of waiting

the relief of being remembered


the Bible verse on the wall

the numerous times Heo Joon Jae checked Shim Cheong's heart beat



and the outfits of Shim Cheong.








Cinematography wise, it was lovable but the shift in time made it boring. I love the frames that captured the raging waves, the alluring view of the ocean, still and surging in daylight.



I love the music used in funny scenes.Super love the song, Clair, which was used in the bicycle scene.


I finished this drama because I felt the sincerity of the actors to give their best performance. Super love the behind the scenes that showed the dedication of Jun Ji-Hyun to play the mermaid part convincingly.

Had the lead roles were not played by Lee Min Ho and Jun Ji-Hyun, those cheesy lines will leave you cringing all the time. The recaps and reviews by girlfriday in Dramabeans gave me all the push to love this drama 'til the end despite the number of frames I dislike.Had girlfriday did not  make me realize the different quality of acting in this drama by Lee Min Ho, I would have kept on ranting about the loopholes.She was right that this drama was thought to be led by Jun Ji-hyun's charisma, the way it worked in My Love from another Star but  Lee Min Ho made Heo Joon Jae's supposedly suffocating over-protectiveness, romantic and believable.

With all those screenshots, you can tell how much I love and hate at the same time this drama!

5. Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

This drama was a sleeper hit. I watched it to find out the craze about the Do you like  Messi line.


The wait for the one true pairing to be a couple was so long that there are a number of times you'd ask if you'll watch the next episode or skip to the episode wherein the characters confessed their feelings.For that heart-fluttering journey, this drama is perfect. It gives all the kind of love feels you really wish that this couple date for real which came true :D

i can't help but squeal as Joon-hyung fulfills Bok Joo's bucket list

can't stop blushing

Bok Joo's sharing a drink with a straw wish




I am glad that I didn't press the forward button much. I mentioned that I love dramas that depict love that grows on you, in this drama, the pacing was slow but the time the OTP became a couple, the wait was worth it.This drama would make you swoon and wish you had a best friend like Joon-hyung. Their childhood memories are so lovely. Love the parts where Bok Joo was teased by Joon Hyung.






her dilemma to be seen as a woman despite her strength that men cannnot handle
 I loved how this drama hit me with light punches of relatable truths like the struggle to be attractive through weight loss,

the feels when your crush is near

the you and me against the world feelin'

the way crushes sparkle in a woman's eyes

the dilemma of being honest and supportive to your friends,

when friends interrogate what you feel


how satisfying it is to drink cold beer after a long tiring day


when you say sorry and they gave you a hug right away


SWAG

 the irony of being a burden to other people for being too kind and considerate,

when you'd like to say something but didn't

the how you draw the line as a coach and as a friend or older sister,

when you would like to tell how hurt you were but all you can do was cry

 the drive to be perfect,

when insomnia hits you so bad

 I also love how So Ji-ho's character was developed. She was given a voice you can empathize with.

what stress eating is

Super love Ji-ho's choice, to perform without regret.

 and lastly, the dilemma of Bok Joo in choosing weightlifting as her goal, whether she's doing it for the love of the sport,  for achievement or to meet the expectation of the people who love her.It felt like I was torn too when she decided to stop and it was an unexpected blow that I also waited if she will overcome such heartache of leaving what you thought completes your life all those years.

when your heartache is too unbearable

I am so touched the way her father supported her falling out and in love of the sport. When Bok Joo took time out of her weightlifting training, she didn't waste her time. It is an eye opener that her character has other interests too and with those new found interests, she is still the Bok Joo that every one loves. That time away made her comeback more rewarding and fulfilling.


doing things you thought you can


when your choice screams gold


I am a sucker too for unexpected pairings, hence I was rooting for Bok Joo's uncle to end up with her coach but sadly, she chose the head coach. Good thing, Bok Joo's best friend, Sun-Ok, had a love line with Joon-hyung's close friend Tae-kwon.





say what?




Bok Joo's red clip was so memorable, her bangs were unusually cute, her eyes are so attractive and her height is truly amazing.



I  love how they made the wishing well or pond special and the story of the frog prince interesting as a lucky charm.


The scenes wherein they eat a lot are enviable.


ah those tips to survive an eat all you can challenge
There are cameo appearances too.

Lee Jong Suk, a sought after lead that I never followed

Seulgi for the win, loved her since Surplus Princess days

Nam Joo Hyuk's real life bestie, Ji Soo
What is commendable about this drama is how it engaged viewers to wait for best things to happen while improving oneself. There is strength in waiting and reward in hard work. This drama is light-hearted and encouraging. I love how this drama explored sports better than Hana Kimi and To the Beautiful You.

weightlifting fairy

the swimmer with a trauma
Production wise, I loved the perky sound effect What! and the signature move SWAG which made this drama more special and remarkable.



6. My Secret Romance

This 12 episode drama had the best kissing scenes ever. If you are looking for heart-thumping scenes then this drama satisfies all your romantic fantasies with parental guidance warning :D


I love the epilogues a lot and the sketches that match exactly the characters' features.














I love how Sung Hoon played Director Cha Jin-wook. The way he dressed, talked and walked, everything about him is  eye candy!




His nuances as chaebol were so distinct that you can tell if he is being mischievous or you would swoon because he is a gentleman and admirable as a businessman. He was able to present a young, carefree and rebellious Jin-wook and a horrible but amazing boss after three years. His interactions with his father were cliches in melodrama but he and his father were able to execute the twist in the end smoothly without the need to suspend disbelief that it can happen.




The one night stand premise seemed interesting but an unattractive plot for me but the way Sung Hoon made it look like a believable connection, I found myself waiting and waiting for the next episode. There were lots of hackneyed romantic scenes but again it was always saved by the way it was executed by Sung Hoon.






Song Ji-eun's awkward acting in depicting Yoo Mi's conflicted decision on expressing her feelings towards Jin-wook was annoying. I can't determine if her faulty performance was due to weak character development since the drama is limited in running time or her unimpressionable reaction was due to directing because she has good chemistry with Sung hoon on screen hence the story moves forward without emotional attachment on characters. She wasted all her screen time with the following super annoying expressions.






Another thing I find annoying about Yoo Mi is her love-hate relationship with her mother and her display of affection towards Dong Goo was only felt after she has dated Jin-wook. I dislike how she referred the super adorable Dong Goo as her pet dog.


how could she refer to him as a dog..hmmmpp!!!
I would like to empathize with her but her helplessness was performed as selfishness. I guessed, the only flaw in her character that I appreciated was that she was able to convey was how much  she wanted to become a nutritionist despite her lack of skills in cooking.

Until now, I wondered why the chief cook in Daebok became supportive of her despite lack of scenes that would show that Yoo Mi was capable of getting along with her co-workers.


Her interactions with Jung Hyun-tae played by Kim Jae Young,  were also dry.The attempt to have a loyal third party, Jung Hyun-Tae, lacked impact. Therefore, it was not difficult to accept easily that he could be paired in short span of time with Jung Dasol's character, Joo Hye-ri.

Kim Jae-young's chemistry with Jung Dasol outshined the supposed tension  between  Jung Hyun Tae and Jin wook over Yoo Mi's affection.




Jung Dasol was able to show different kinds of Hye-ri though she has fewer  screen chances than Song Ji-Eun. There was the love struck Hye-ri, a broken-hearted Hye-ri , a letting go Hye-ri  and a  moving on Hye-ri. Jung Dasol was able to make her character despicable at first but lovable in the end unlike Song Ji-Eun's performance which was very flat.

the annoying and heartbroken Hye-ri

Letting go Hye-ri

Moving on Hye-ri
Also, noteworthy to point at regarding acting is Yoo Mi's mother who was able to redeem her disgusting character. She has turned it into someone you can forgive and love still, accepting her imperfection. Unlike Yoo Mi, it felt like, if she accepted her mother for who she is and Yoo Mi became honest and forward with her feelings, she is already perfect hence deserves a happy ending.



If  Jin-wook did not wait and meet Yoo Mi's insecurities half way, Yoo Mi's chase at the end is a sloppy resolution to root for a happy ending.



Good thing that this drama ended in a stage wherein Jin-wook and Yoo Mi are working on their relationship to last.


It is not surprising that fans would ask for Season 2. If there would be one, I hope the writer gives Yoo Mi that break to confront herself, on her own, so she can be brave even without the emotional pull from her mother or push from Jin-wook. She must not be driven by circumstances. She must acknowledge that she, herself, can change her attitude for the better.

In fairness, this drama had one of the best wedding scenes. Thanks to the beautiful surge of waves which never fails to make any scene romantic and nostalgic.





These were the scenes that had my heart squealing in joy.



This show has the best poster ever.


7. She Was Pretty

I did not include She Was Pretty in my previous list so that I could place this drama in the top spot however, Kdramaland was so quick to churn out must see dramas.

If Third Rate my Way and Goblin did not come out, She Was Pretty is the sole romcom in my score card with perfect scores in every production detail. I love how this drama deconstructed perspective on fairytales, first love and beauty. This tackled also one of my dreams which is to contribute to children's literature.

I enjoyed the bromance between Sung Joon and Shin Hyuk played by super gorgeous Park Seo Joon and  Siwon , respectively more than the OTP scenes.


Each episode never fails to deliver the right amount of comedy and drama.Usually, mistaken identity wears out after four episodes but this drama was able to keep the mystery and it was believable.

My favorite scene was when Hye Jin, played by Hwang Jung Eum, tried to do over her look but Sung Joon found her makeover funny. It reminded me of the failed makeover attempt of Betty la Fea.



I just can't get enough of Hye-jin's weird reactions/expressions especially when she blows her nose while she delivers her lines.


Her struggle to have a job had me cheering for her.


I envy the kind of friendship Hye-jin and Ha-ri share.



The over the top funny antics of Shin Hyuk






These were the how can you hate Ha-ri moments



What's not to love about Sung Joon





How their love lines got tangled up








Disastrous first meeting



Hye-jin's pretty sister


 The additional spice of the drama


Though this drama delivered a solid ending which is a first for me in a romcom, I really wished Ha-ri ended up with Shin Hyuk.I am also torn that Hye-jin should end up too with Shin Hyuk, love his character a lot.Waah, can't decide hahaha because Sung joon is lovable too.


The childhood memories, the reason it was titled she was pretty.


Park Seo Joon is left handed in this drama, in FMW Kim Ji Won is left-handed



The above screenshots could tell how crazy I was about this drama <3

8. Moonlight Drawn by Clouds

I never watched Moon Embracing the Sun because of the hype created when it was promoted, hence, I was skeptical to watch Kim Yoo Jung as Ra-On.I watched this drama thinking that Park Bo Gum was Lee Hyun Woo in Scholar Who Walks the Night only to be captivated in the scene where Ra-on closed her eyes, expecting a kiss from Park Bo Gum as Prince Lee Yeong who smiled while looking at her. That smile was priceless.That scene was extraordinary for me.


I love dramas wherein heroes swoon too. I love it when they can't hide the love they feel, and when they do not intend to hide it too. The smile of Lee Min Ho in LOTBS, Jo Jung Suk in Oh My Ghostess, Park Hyung Sik in Strong Woman Do Bong Sun, Park Seo Joon and Siwon in SWP and currently raving Seo joon's cute reactions in FMW/TMW then this, Park Bo Gum is the best. He was the knight in shining armor who never failed to save the damsel in distress. The thought that Byungyeon died was really sad that I delayed myself in watching the final episode. Had a hard time handling my reaction, hahaha.

I also loved that this drama was fast-paced, there was character development, conflicts were resolved in a number of twists and most memorable were the friendship displayed by the prince, his rival with Ra-on and his bodyguard.I am interested in political sageuk too that's why this drama was too exciting.Each scene usually ended with a thought that the Prince cannot handle that kind of conflict or obstacle- that feeling he would get caught or he'll fail- only to watch the next episode that he was successful in gathering the help he needed.I loved those bits that explain how we was able to come up with those solutions.

The scenes wherein the tests were given to become a eunuch were hilarious.


9. K2

I disliked Chang Wook as Togon in Empress Ki thus I least expect from him in this drama. I didn't watch Healer too because that drama felt like he copied  Lee Min Ho in City Hunter.

I mainly watched this drama because of SNSD favorite Yoona. I ship her with Lee Seung Gi a lot that I find it hard to pair her up with Chang Wook.

Upon learning that the production details of K2 were similar to Yongpal, I got hooked on this drama and caught myself rooting already for Anna to end up with Jae Ha. Jae-Ha's  moves and charm ala Transporter Jason Statham slowly grew on me. A man in suit with killer moves, whoah, I can't resist that kind of hero. Here is the most comprehensive trailer that was released for this show.



Yongpal similarities



I am a sucker for action-suspense dramas and I am so glad that this show delivered the excitement needed in each episode.


Aside from LOTBS and MDBC, I intentionally did not watch the final episode because I simply cannot get over that this show has to end. I didn't want this show to stop at 16 because of the intense action and too beautiful chemistry of the main leads that I was also curious if they dated for real. Their guesting in Taxi had me squealing perhaps but seeing the bts of Suspicious Partner, I am wishing that the Jibong couple is real.




Who wouldn't be intrigued with this controversial scene?


I usually endorse this drama as the next must see after Yongpal and I never fail to get awesome responses from new recruits to kdramaland. It is the only drama wherein the heroine appear weak but her weakness makes the hero stand out whenever she was rescued. I don't get annoyed whenever she needs another rescuing moment.Perhaps, I have so much bias on Yoona as Anna :D



10. Eccentric Daughter in Law/ Virtual Bride

This 12 episode drama surprisingly hit all the soft spots in my heart. I was literally blowin' my nose because of too much crying in each episode. I am so happy that I watched this drama because it gave me a lot of insights on how hard it is to be a daughter in law, especially in a traditional family. The battle between mothers-in-law was in the plot too.




Most of the heartwrenching scenes were delivered by So Eun Seo who played Young ah and I was really annoyed by her mother in law and her husband.I had the worst rollercoaster of emotions in this drama and this was what kept me watching until the last episode.



Young ah and her mother in law, Mi-hee

Young ah's husband, Junsu

The struggle of Se-Mi was so relatable that I was drawn too into her character. Her drive to be an independent wife, to be a mom, a good sister in law and an obedient daughter in law were all displayed with realistic tones.


Semi asking permission to work as an instructor

Choonja's punishment to make Semi quit work but was resolved by her husband and grandfather in law

The way her roles were mirrored too by other characters, So Eun Seo to Mi-Hee and Dasom to Choon-ja, gave  different perspective on how her problems can be solved.I love how this drama brought out the good and the bad qualities of each character. It emphasized that being part of a family that trust and support you despite your imperfections is gold.

One of the heartbreaking scenes was when Haji betrayed Choon ja's family and yet, in the end she was brought home, forgiven and welcomed.
Haji stole the family's recipe and joined a rival family in a cooking competition using the stolen recipe


Though I am a fan of Sistar, I am not familiar with Dasom. I dislike Ryu Soo-young in My Princess but his character in this drama changed my mind. The couple goals in this drama may not be as romantic or heart thumping as the other romcoms but it has a very unique feel that you'll appreciate the transformation in each character.

their personalities do not match at all
love formula
I liked the outfits worn by Dasom and So Eun Seo.





I loved Dasom's character as Oh In-young who knows how to weigh things with a heart. She was able to tame the mother in law, Choon ja played by Go Doo-Shim, in a way that both of their characters were transformed. I highly recommend this drama if you are in need of an excuse to cry and I'm sure the tissues you'll use are worth it.Enjoy getting' cold while watching this drama :D

11. Strong Woman Do Bong Soon

I followed this drama because of Park Bo Young who was super cute as Bong Sun in Oh My Ghostess. I was skeptical that Park Hyung Sik is the leading man type but wow, never thought that he and Park Bo Young looked so good on screen that I saw Ji Soo as Dok Gu,  a flat third party.

This drama explored the girl power in a new light. It is refreshing to see a character who hid her strength to be loved but the hero fell in love with her because of that strength. I was impressed on how Park Hyung Sik was able to pull off a character that required him to be a hero and a victim at the same time. He was able to show that his character is not afraid to be emasculated but he can also be a man when needed and his timing is always perfect.

Park Bo Young's take on Do Bong Soon's aloofness was scary and I was really surprised Park Hyung Sik's CEO Ahn character tamed her without her knowing it.I liked how CEO Ahn waited for his turn to be loved by Bong Soon who secretly liked Dok Gu.

This drama had  overflowing cuteness of the main leads and most of the frames include eating delicious meals. This drama makes me hungry, I especially craved for big bowls of ramen.

Park Hyung Sik is so good that his antics make my heart flutter too, to the extent that I traced all his tv appearances :D Can't resist those puppy eyes and sweet voice.




This drama had me squealing 'so corny,'mukhang tanga eh' but with a smile on my face.I cringe when it is corny but Park Hyung Sik is so lovable. Good thing, I watched the last six episodes alone. Had I watched those eps with my sisters, they would've struck me a number of times due to 'kilig'.

12 Scarlet Heart Ryeo/ Moon Lovers

I watched the Chinese original Bu Bu Jing Xin that is why I have high expectations on this drama. I love Lee Jun Ki in Scholar Who walks the Night that's why I am confident that his acting will be as good as his acting in that drama. Perhaps, I read too much reviews that I grew tired of his gorgeous face in another sageuk drama. I find his performance as Wang So a bit predictable.







I enjoyed the first nine episodes until I resorted to reading reviews first and just finding time when to watch it. I can't help but agree with reviewers on how flat Hae Soo's character was.I love IU but I find her character too weak to root for. I wanted her to live a new life but the way she was depicted as a helpless damsel, always in trouble, made me drop this drama a number of times.



There were lots of handsome princes too, however, seeing Nam Joo Hyuk lovable in Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo lessened the excitement to see him get paired with my fave SNSD maknae Seohyun who played the Baekje princess Woohee.




Nam Joo Hyuk reminds me of Gong Yoo in Goblin here and I find his nuances in Bride of Habaek also similar to Gong Yoo
I was more intrigued with the courtship rumor between Ji Soo and Seo Hyun which is also the reason why I didn't find the rivalry of Ji Soo and Park Hyung Sik in Strong Woman Do Bong Soon intense.



The love line between the youngest prince, Wang Eun, played by Baekhyun and the general's daughter, Soon-deok, portrayed by Z. Hera was interesting. The shift of the youngest prince's love from Hae Soo to Seon-deok lacked build up to make it believable, thus I find their death too sudden to have that impact.


Z. Hera was So Ji Ho's sister in Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo and Tak Su's girlfriend in Fight for My Way

It is refreshing to watch Sung Dong Il in a non-villain role

Kang Haneul as Wang Wook almost stole my heart in cheering for him to end up with Hae Soo only to be disappointed later. I was really sad when his wife died.The exchange of love poems is heart melting.




I was heartbroken for Hae Soo when Court Lady Oh and Chae Ryung died.




Hong  Jong Hyun's eyeliner was too much.


Yoon Sun Woo's soft eyebrows bothered me a lot. Choi Ji Mung's advice did not help.



In short, I included this drama as of one of the must watch hits because it has a promising premise that it will always have a unique touch.



lots of viewers complained about the ending, yeah right!


13. Hwarang

I watched this drama after seeing how gorgeous Park Seo Joon, Park Hyung Sik and Minho were in their guesting in 1N2D. The jumping rope task was too entertaining that I asked my sister to download the series.


I loved the trivia and revelations shared in this interview. This made the drama more enjoyable to watch especially the part wherein Park Seo Joon revealed that the stylist had difficulty arranging his hair. The stylist was not able to find the hairstyle that was suited to Park Seo Joon 'til the end of the drama. I appreciate Go Ara's sweet voice over here. I find Minho very cheerful in the drama but in real life, he is too serious.


Park Seo Joon looked like Jackie Chan in Drunken Master movie.


I find his bangs disturbing.


Park Hyung Sik is so handsome.








I am happy that these pretty boys were able to pull off the action scenes convincingly.




I find the Princess' character more exciting than Ah Ro's.


The Queen's headdress was distracting.


Just like the Scholar Who Walks the Night and MDBC, this sageuk is very entertaining if you just go along with its attempt to tackle political machinations.Watching Kwang Soo in the first three episodes is a unique treat, totally different from his goofy and 'traitor' tendency in Running Man. I am moved that he can be in a serious drama too and  he can deliver those nostalgic lines that served as the drive of the main lead played by Park Seo Joon who had a lot of names in this drama. He has no name in the beginning though.


I like Go Ara as Ah Ro. Her character reminded of Lee Yubi's Yang Sun in Scholar Who Walks the Night.


What I disliked was Go Ara's lack of chemistry with Park Seo Joon and Park Hyung Sik that the love line direction came out dragging. This drama lived on the bromance found among the Hwarangs. The football scene was the best in this drama.


My sister was so happy that after watching Sung Dong-Il scary in LOTBS, she was able to see him in a friendly character in Hwarang. I was also surprised that he can be a good father and credible general too in Moon Lovers.



14. High Society

I often read on news that Koreans find Uee as one of the most beautiful women which I kinda disagree. I just don't find her appealing the way Song Hye Kyo, Kim Tae Hee and Han Ye Seul mesmerize me. Despite my prejudice over Uee, I watched this drama with low expectations. I just wanted to trace the growth of Park Hyung Sik as an actor the way I followed Park Seo Joon :D

I am happy that I did. This drama surprised me when it comes to delivering never before heard lines.It was successful in debunking some thoughts about high-class people.The way elitism was explained in this drama was insightful.


I loved the way friendship was explored in this drama.



I loved how the male characters, Joon Ki  played by Sung Joon and Chang Soo played by Park Hyung Sik showed bromance and argued on the sincerity of their friendship.Their falling out was heartbreaking.



The female leads, Uee as Yoon -ha and Lee Ji Yeon as Lee Ji Yi, on the other hand, showed how female species support and care for each other.


There were attempts to dramatize the troubles endured by the rich and poor people but I was hoping that through Joon Ki and Yoon-ha, the dynamics of having that kind of conflict in a relationship was shown.

love her limited edition clip and the outfits too in this drama
I had mixed feelings on the way Joon Ki took advantage of Yoon ha's love. The scenes felt romantic, scary, dry,manipulative and disgusting.

This is the reason why Lee Ji Yi's and Park Hyung Sik's push and pull story arc felt more exciting.





Park Hyung Sik is so gorgeous in a suit
I laughed at the numerous times Ji Yi cleverly rejected Chang Soo's advances.





Oh I love this break up twist scene so much

oh coffee from a vendo is always delicious

so how does it taste,Chang Soo?
This show has the wittiest and the most entertaining banter between Changsoo's mom and Ji Yi.





The 'I chose you Mom' retort of Chang Soo is a clever but touching way of resolving his conflict in the drama.This showed how important mother-son relationship is, the trust level is very challenging.Usually, mothers of chaebols were depicted crazily antagonistic the whole series, I am glad that in this series it was portrayed differently. There was a room for consideration.


Another commendable thing in this drama was that the two male leads were not the usual jerk with soft heart or the super nice guy you'll fall head over heels with.At the outset of the drama, the characters' traits that you'll despise were shown and the drama did not justify those flaws for you to end up appreciating those flaws.It was like a human error as it is. The drama stayed true in echoing the theme about how foolish people are to expect people they love  to be pure all the time without acknowledging his or her own impurities. The character development in this drama is not the usual bad to good transition, weak to strong character.The development was more of recognizing the character flaws with the attempt to become a better person but without the promise of hundred percent change. This failure to change totally was not because the characters were not committed to change or do they lack reflection of their follies but it is more of understanding to what extent humans behave and interact realistically.

this scene shook me
Chang Soo's lucky that he was able to work out his relationship with Ji Yi despite his elitism which was called out by Joon Ki.I get what Joon Ki's angst is all about, just because you're not wealthy it does not mean that  you have poor and weak character too, that the choices for the wealthy won't be the same with those who struggle in life.All is fair in love and war, as they say.

I love Joon Ki's lines about fate and choice. The way he enlightened Yoon Ha that he just took the opportunity at the time Yoon Ha decided to fall in love when she unintentionally showed him her cracks is incredible. Joon Ki pointed out to Yoon ha that she was in love with the idea of love. I was mind-blown in that part. I was like, yeah, he has point.She let her guard down because she chose to. It is unusual for me to follow a lead who has the villain vibe. Joon Ki's chase of Yoon Ha because of her elite background was disgusting, his indifference to his own parents and to Changsoo was annoying but his supportive nature to Ji Yi is heart warming.

What is exactly on your mind Joon Ki?
Love Uee in this scene
this scene convinced me that Uee is beautiful
i don't know but i cringe too on Joon Ki's parents' too much kindness

What are you doin' Joon Ki?
Joon Ki's eyes are difficult to decipher, his creepy stare would make you rethink about his intention while Yoon ha's effort to refuse Joon Ki after learning that he was a gold digger became annoying to the extent that you'd think it was her fault anyway and because it was her fault, you also feel sad that their love was flawed
I loved Lim Ji Yeon's portrayal of Lee Ji-Yi. It reminded me of Kim Go Eun's Eun Tak. She is a versatile actress who can deliver funny lines with perky gestures without realizing that she's about to end the scene on a sad note or the other way around. Her cheerfulness and being straightforward is very charming.I liked how she provided the perspective of common people regarding rich people- people you put in pedestal thinking they got all what they wanted but not worthy to be friends.Her character created the balance between Yoon ha and Joon Ki.


Yoon Ha, on the other hand, surprised me that she pulled off a convincing love-hate relationship with her mom.

Second time to watch Go Doo Shim in a rich role
Her relationship arc with her parents would've been more interesting if there's more in depth chaebol vibe ala crocodile reference in Yong Pal.The intensity was not there which affected the acting of  Yoon ha and Joon Ki.

I guess there are really stubborn people and they'll be like that 'til death
Though it is realistic, it is just sad that Yoon ha was not able to drive changes on her two sisters.The drama sadly did not maximize the characters of Yoon-ha's sisters. The characters were only written to bring all the negativity the heroine needed in order to grow strong.



I liked the trust and support given by her brother. I was also touched that he was reliable.I really wish that he was able to redeem his character after his disappearance.

I was annoyed that Yoon ha did not take care of all the things (key, stocks and usb) left by his oppa responsibly

this is how an oppa takes revenge for his dongsaeng

their relationship was interesting but was not handled well
I ended up lovin' not only Park Hyung Sik but also the other three actors too. It is just disappointing that the ending was a simple wrap up of relationships. A drama that you'll enjoy but once you finished, you'll wonder 'That's it?"


15. Cinderella and Four Knights

I saw the teaser of this drama and got curious if the female lead can act well. I thought at the time that the female lead was Kim Go Eun whom I read as spectacular actress in recaps and reviews of the drama, Cheese in the Trap, in Dramabeans.

oh i relate easily to characters who storm out of  the rain

be careful on what you order, ha :D

An Jae Hyun's slim built bothered me a lot since Blood that is why I dropped it after watching few episodes though I like Gong Hye Sun. I liked their guesting too in Happy Together. In Cinderella and Four Knights, I find his character flat,childish and annoying.

warning, jerks are coming!


oh that cinderella fantasy!

these two were the most pasaway characters ever!

their push and pull is so childish and annoying!

when the two male leads were both crazy about their first love and you're there watching, ouch!

Surprisingly, I enjoyed this drama because of Jung Il Woo. I swooned over him in Unstoppable High Kick and Flower Boy Ramyun Shop.











I am also happy that CNBLUE bassist, Jungshin, was also in this drama.

the greatest fan ever! She's Nanhee in Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo


their love line is sloppy but okay

The drama promised a different take on Cinderella fairytale but this drama was not as interesting as Brilliant Legacy. It is light hearted but the characters are not tolerable. It's like you're watching it for good vibes when you see Jung Il Woo on screen.

runway without a pumpkin

the shower scene you'll not dream of

bffs make a drama entertaining
lemme wash your hair

where's the necklace?

Oh I hate this scene because it is so sad!
irritating mtv scenes in a romcom
saw this light house in Yong Pal

I was not that impressed with the development of Eun Ha Won's character though I can tell that Park So Dam can deliver the scenes right. Her character was strong at the start of the drama and to fulfill the title, all of a sudden she needed four nights or there were four knights and period. The connection was forced.

the four knights

yes, the four knights !


actually, these three showed up most of the time

so where's the other knight?
the fairy who caused the co-habitation shenanigans

the housekeeper who acted like Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast, wait this is Cinderella story right?

 She was like a person you can relate to when she stands on her own but the moment she fell in love, the attention was placed on who loves her.I  haven't watched Beautiful Mind but if I base it on reviews, perhaps, romcom is not her turf.

i love to save too, that kind of smile that a passbook can give :D

when parents bring those sad memories

It's like you expected a lot of fun in this drama because it is a Cinderella story but ended up getting only bits of fun and those bits are enough to remember the 'kilig' that this drama has brought.

surprise!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iDate

Bandmaster

Pinoy TV Shows