Korean Weekend Dramas




It is a pity that due to huge number of episodes, reviews and recaps were seldom seen online. You really have to be patient in following this kind of drama. The good thing is, all the episodes are accessible and available compared with dramas that create too much marketing materials.

What I loved about weekend dramas are 1) it always involved family conflicts that you can relate to, 2) the characters are ordinary individuals, 3) there were actors who were about to reach the peak of their career after this drama therefore you get to see them in their growin' up phase, 4) you get the right dose of moral lessons and 5) you don't know how it will end.

I guess, the cliche that you have to be forgiving and find it at the same surprisingly exciting in weekend dramas was how the writer weaved all the connections- the way the relationship of each character got tangled up with another character.

So here is the list of Korean weekend dramas with 40 plus episodes that I wish you'll try.

1. Five Children/Five Enough

I became curious of this drama because of Sung hoon whom I have watched in Noble My Love, Oh My Venus and 6 persons.  I initially disliked that he was paired with Kim Hye Sun whom I have watched  as Chef Kang's sister in Oh My Ghostess and I find her funny and irritating at the same time in She Was Pretty. I got hooked on this drama after watching the guesting of Sunghoon and Kim Hye Sun in Happy Together wherein they were teased to date for real. I really felt that Sung hoon fell for her, for real.Oh that feeling!


The 54 episodes sound long, tiring and boring but since each character was given the drive to stand out in the story, I was satisfied on how the actors gave life to the characters. What I find extraordinary is the portrayal of Kim Hye Sun about a woman who suffered from unrequited love and was able to find a real one. I can't resist dramas wherein characters were given enough time to fail, grieve and reap from their hard work and heart ache.

the main couple and villain couple

the main couple, the interesting filler couple and the most exciting couple

the typical crazy mother-in-law

the supposed villain couple but likable in the end

saw her first here, Heo Joon Jae's mother in LOTBS (Young version)
These are some screenshots on how the cute couples' love lines got interconnected.

Sangmin and Tae min are brothers, unaware that Yeon Tae and Yeon Doo refer to  the same woman

high school friends turned sisters-in-law, Yeon-tae and Jin-joo fell in love with the same man, Tae-min

Sangmin and Jin-joo were arranged to be on a blind date

Yeon tae and Taemin were best of friends since college. Taemin and Jinjoo fell in love with each other leaving Yeon Tae heart broken
Sang-min fell in love with Yeon Tae whom he met as Yeon Doo

Sung Hoon and Kim Hye Sun were really funny and lovable in this drama.This has the best push and pull romance ever!




that moment you knew you'll follow them





at the count of five





acting or for real?

2. I Summon You, Gold!

I was looking for Legendary Witch episodes when I came across with this drama. I disliked Baek Jin Hee as Tanasiri in Empress Ki and was surprised to read on news that she dated Park Seo Joon while filming this drama . I am often challenged to find out how the actors' roles led them to fall for their partners in the drama for real. I am always intrigued if their feelings show while filming the drama.

blame me? :D

Result was, I enjoyed watching Park Seo Joon and Baek Jin Hee bicker and had the push and pull kind of love story.I cried a lot for Baek Jin hee in this drama.






She is such a sweetheart in this drama and lookin' back on Empress Ki, she was really an amazing actress as Tanasiri.


This 50 episode drama would make you rethink about the sacrifices made by mothers to have a strong family. I loved also how this show tackled sibling rivalry. The impersonation part was just an icing on the cake, you'll love this drama on how the writer fleshed out complex relationships of people you meet in real life.


Who wouldn't get hooked on a plot that sounded like La Usurpadora? Han Ji-Hye is very effective in dramas that involved reunion of long lost relationships and mistaken identity.

Han Ji-Hye as Monghee and Yoona



The story arc of each couple in this drama was worth following.  The ending may seem like a sloppy patchwork to expect a happy ending but it worked for me, mean but just!

3. What Happens to my Family

I watched this drama after seeing the video where Nam Ji Hyun and Park Hyung Sik sang 'Some' in an awards night. They won the Best Couple Award.


At first, I find the pairing of Nam Ji Hyun and Park Hyung Sik unmoving since I watched ahead of this, Suspicious Partner and Strong Woman Do Bong Soon. I ship Nam Ji Hyun with Ji Chang Wook and Park Hyung Sik with Park Bo Young.

I find Nam Ji Hyun's accent in this drama, disturbing but I got used to it.She played Kang Seo-wool who left her hometown to find Cha Dalbong played by Park Hyung Sik. The mistaken identity plot was well-played.












I cried a lot in this drama. The actors were so great especially Park Hyung Sik who played Dal bong. Dal bong's arguments with his father were all heart wrenching.  I loved how the writer developed the characters from selfish to considerate individuals.What I find exciting in this drama was how one character can be amazing in a situation but find him/her ridiculous and horrible in another. That blend made this drama engaging and entertaining.

oh that kind of sister-in-law :D
Kim Hyun Joo is so beautiful in this drama.Her chemistry with Kim Sang Kyung was surprising.This couple provided the laughter in this drama. Their romance was predictable but exciting to follow.











 Each episode has that lingering effect that you'll think about your dreams and your own family too.


4. Legendary Witches

I was influenced by my aunt to watch this drama. My aunt was into baking and since this drama involves baking, we were hooked.


It is unusual for a drama to discuss the dreams of female prisoners. In this drama, the lead characters are females of different ages who were wrongly accused. They bonded and dreamt of living a new life. I loved how they helped each other reach their dream when they were released from jail.







I've seen Goo Do Shim a lot in mother roles. What made her different in this drama was that she was one of the lead characters yet she was downplayed.Her character was written to be important but it doesn't scream that she has to get all the screen time if you know what I mean.

My favorite scenes were when Kim Young-wok played by Kim Soo-mi won the lotto and used her winnings to return the kindness of the prisoners she bullied. She was so funny in this drama, super love her!




Oh Hyun-Kyung is so lovely in this drama.Her love line with Lee Jong Won who played Tak Wol Han, Do Sang Woo's driver, was hilarious.


Aside from May Queen which I was not able to finish until today's writing, this was another drama led by Han Ji Hye which involved reunion of long lost relationships and mistaken identity.




I loved Han Ji Hye since her Sweet 17 drama and she has never disappointed her viewers to be part of a solid weekend drama, it's like if there's Han Ji Hye in it, it is always worth watching it.

By the way, this has 40 episodes only :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iDate

Bandmaster

Koreanovelas (Part 1)