Korean TV Shows

The popularity of actors in Korean dramas do not end once their dramas reached the finale of the drama they starred in. Their tv appearances on variety shows, reality tv, talk shows and music contests are also anticipated. These guestings make up for the time they do not appear in a drama.I love comparing the personalities of the actors with the roles they have played in the drama and the following shows helped me fuifill that kind of obsession to know more.

Here is the list of Korean tv shows that I follow to learn more of the actors that caught my fancy.

1. We Got Married

This reality show invites celebrities to be in a virtual marriage. Each week, three couples were given a task by the show's producer and the episode relies on the interactions made by the couples while doing the task.

Most celebrities who appeared in this show are newbie idols, veteran actors, well-known models and hosts. Their popularity usually increased after their stint in WGM.

There were a lot of couples you'd hope that they would date in real life because of their amazing chemistry. Their care and support for each other felt real in WGM. This show was often accused as scripted wherein the show's producer decide what the celebrities will be doing by giving them missions, however, the way celebrities execute their missions felt like they were showing their real selves on screen.

I can't help but feel that what they show on screen were true feelings only to be disappointed that they do not talk anymore after the show ended.

The couples that I shipped the most were :


1. CNBLUE's Yong Hwa and SNSD's Seohyun (Yong Seo)

I loved them a lot. From the first episode to the last, it felt like you are on a journey to feel what it's like to find true and innocent love. Yong hwa is so thoughtful, creative and expressive. He is a perfect gentleman. I love how he jokes around and how he protects Seo Hyun.

Seohyun, was too cold to a fault that this show allowed her to be expressive and romantic through the help of Yong hwa.


Their budding romance on WGM perfectly reflected what I love about love-love that grows on you.Their tasks allowed them to get to know each other and develop from friends to hoping there's more from what they show as respect for co-artists.

Both of them belong to a group that were about to be famous globally that time hence it was really interesting to follow their growth as an artist after WGM. I enjoyed reading news about fans' efforts to spot the similarities they have over the years, marking that each of them still think about each other. The goguma fans are always waiting and excited for any show that would reunite them.

Their first reunion after WGM


Whenever their songs clash and their groups meet on music shows, fans compile their appearances yearly-hoping they'll date for real


Oh those fancams are killin' me for makin' me hope that the clips tell something not just mere coincidences. Hate also when fans make you believe that the lyrics of the songs they wrote were about their relationship. Fans were also tracking the similarities in their clothes and their social media posts.

Luckily, they reunited this year and it is enough to reminisce all the kilig they've brought to fans.



2. Kim Hyun Joong and Hwang Bo (Lettuce couple)

I discovered through WGM how funny and intelligent Kim Hyun Joong is before he became famous due to his portrayal of Ji-ho in Boys Over Flowers. I was amazed on how detailed he was, from food, schedule and stories that a person tells. He is a keen observant and a good listener. He looked like someone who doesn't pay attention but he can crack a joke on something you've just shared.



I feel sad for Hwang Bo though that she finds Kim Hyun Joong a good match. She lost contact with him after WGM. That time, KHJ was vocal that his ideal woman was Lee Hyori.

I find their noona-dongsaeng romance cute.

3. BTOB's Sungjae and Red Velvet's Joy

It energizes me to watch young love on screen. This couple is too entertaining to watch. Their cute romance felt like reversed Yongseo wherein  Joy was Yonghwa and Sungjae was Seohyun since Joy is older than Sungjae.

Here are the episodes that I enjoyed the most for this couple.




4. Jonghyun and Seungyeon

I had a crush on Jonghyun and seeing him super romantic in WGM was a blast. My attraction diminished though upon watching that he likes Seungyeon much and I was amazed that Seungyeon matched his romantic antics.

I enjoyed watching both of them show how much they like each other.







2. Running Man

The kind of excitement delivered by this show is similar to Amazing Race.Through the years, the show underwent different formats to suit the viewers' preferences and trends in show business.

The main hosts were usually divided into 2 groups and they perform tasks with their guests. The episodes that I enjoyed the most were those that include ripping of name tags, had an athletic relay and they asked for help from their co-actors.

I disliked Song Ji Hyo a lot in Princess Hours 1 but her 'one of the boys' attitude in this show made me follow her. I liked her competitiveness and focus in each game. I loved also those episodes where she had fallen asleep while in a difficult game.This is the episode that I envy her bravery.


The way they made fun of Song Ji Hyo, the scenes that Gary was shy and the number of times they participated in pepero game were all exciting.


I am also amazed on how Yoo Jae Suk led this show, knowing that he was also the main MC in other shows. He was able to show how skillful, clever and flexible he is.

I thought Haha was a simple comedian from Unstoppable High Kick. He is so funny with Minyoung.In this show, I was able to appreciate that he's also a rapper and a sensible host.

I love the laughter provided by Lee Kwang So whom they've credited as a guest for the last six years. The hosts may seem mean to him but there are times Lee Kwang So gave them a reason to be mean to him.

I am always afraid of Kim Joong-kook because he always wins any game.

Most of the famous actors have appeared on this show. The episodes that I enjoyed the most include guests like SNSD, CNBLUE, Park Seo Joon, Sung Hoon, Lee Dong Wook, Gong Yoo, Ji Chang Wook, Kim Woo Bin, Lee Sung Kyung and Park Shin Hye.They are so humorous without the intention to be funny.

I love how down to earth Gong Yoo is in this episode.


This show was able to put together most sought after actors and they asked them to do crazy stunts.


3. Strong Heart

It is in this show I learned how witty Kang Ho Dong, Lee Seung Gi and Lee Dong Wook are. I enjoyed all the episodes that featured idol groups especially SNSD, CNBLUE and Bigbang.


I loved the episodes where Lee Seung Gi was teased a lot about Yoona.


4. Happy Together

This talk show felt like you're closer to the actors or celebrities you'd like to get to know more. You get to enjoy the person of interest's revelations through the stories shared according to the theme in each episode. I liked how the hosts make an on-the-spot, in- depth interview of the guests.

Though there are a number of times I dislike MyungSoo, he is surprisingly funny sometimes. I love how Yoo Jae Suk tries to moderate the talk by adhering to tv ethics but he never fails to ask questions that would make the topic more interesting and relevant. Hyun Moo is also helpful. His background as a professional announcer helped the show bring out a lot of information from the guests.

It is in this show I got to appreciate Zo In-Sung, Seven, Big Bang, Seolhyun, IU and the couple- Ahn Jae Hyun and Gong Hye Sun. My favorite episode was the Unique Couples episode which includes Sung hoon and Kim Hye Sun.



Here is one of the episodes that I enjoyed the most. I was entertained by the make up artists of famous stars. Their bickering is so funny.


5. Three Meals a Day

Super love this show. I was able to learn more about Ji Sung and Park Shin Hye.



5. Journey to the West

This is the show where I discovered Eun Ji Won and Lee Seung Gun. I didn't know that they were famous rappers. My love for this show led me to follow them in One Night and Two Days.Saw the season 1 in cable channel. Still trying to find copy online.

6. One Night and Two Days (1N2D)

I love the episodes where the season 1 cast composed of Kang Ho Dong, Lee Seung Gi, Eun Ji Won and Lee Seung Gun had movie charades. Their actions were so hilarious.

In the current season, Junho is so funny. Tae Hyun is entertaining too. Yoon's first episode was hilarious.I get to see another side of Defconn, he is scary in Weekly Idol.

My favorite episode aside from Hwarang boys' guesting was Kim Yoo Jung's.Super love her in the roller coaster challenge and I was amused with her appetite during dinner.



7. Weekly Idol

The hosts, Defconn and Jeong Hyeong-don are straightforward and will not accept crappy answers. This show has harsh punishment and often, the guest idol groups were caught off guard which at times may be funny, sometimes be seen as mean. What I like about this show is that you get to discover a lot of things from each guest.The challenges they give to the idols are really difficult but they are very generous when it comes to giving beef :D I love the random play challenge.

Here are my favorite episodes which include SNSD, CNBLUE and Bigbang.







This show made me follow BTS, BTOB and BAP. I was impressed on how they succeeded the random play challenge.




8. I Can See Your Voice

This singing contest is one of a kind. The guest who is usually a well-respected  musician or artist, has to find the real singer from a bunch of people. Most of the choices made were wrong which made the show engaging and funny. The person who will be chosen by the guest will have the chance to sing with him or her at the end of the show.

These are my favorite clips.







9. King of Masked Singer

This show allows singers to sing the songs they have always wanted to perform while wearing a mask. Each week there are two singers who'll try to replace the 'masked king' by getting the vote of the judges who don't know their identity. The first round is a duet. The second round gives each contestant a chance to showcase his or her singing prowess by singing a song that is usually from a different genre that made these singers popular or if not, a genre they were not recognized. I loved the part too wherein the contestants share their hidden talents as clues to who they are.

I can imagine the frustration of idol singers to sing a song in full so that their voice will be recognized. Most idol singers cannot show the range of their voices since there are restrictions on song choices and the parts/ lines in a song they can sing since the producer was the one who decides which part would fit them.

I am so happy that I watched this show. I got to appreciate more the voices of Solji and  Hani of EXID, Mina of Girl's Day, Seohyun of SNSD, Jonghyun of CNBLUE and Norazo.

Hope you enjoy the following clips:










Super love Minah in this episode


10. Sisters Slam Dunk

I love both Seasons 1 and 2.I fell in love with the dedication and hard work they put into in each task that was given to them. I was able to see each actress in a new light. The stories they've shared while filming this show were all inspiring and moving. I really felt their sincerity, kindness, and readiness to support each other anytime. I love these unnies so much.





11. Family Outing

I watched this show to check on why it was called Family Outing. It is in the show I discovered Lee Hyori. She can be straightforward, funny and serious. Most of the time, she's very focused and competitive. My favorite episode was Ha Ji Won's guesting. Had Yoo Jae Suk did not tease Park Hae Jin about him having a crush on Ji Won, I wouldn't have recognized him.Also, it is in the show I found Kim Su-ro super funny though he's funny in Real Men.

Here is the first part and hope you catch the rest on youtube :)



12. Real Men

I accidentally watched this show while finding clips of Suzy's performances. That time I didn't recognize Park Hyung Sik was in this show too. As I watched more clips, I found Kim Su-ro, Chun Jung-Myung, Ryu Soo-young, Henry and K.Will.





I was touched on their episodes where they reached out to victims of Tacloban due to Typhoon Haiyan.




This show made me appreciate Amber of f(x) more.


She even wore a skirt.


11. Hello Counselor

This show has the most absurd concerns and I find it really entertaining on how the hosts and the guests try to resolve the problems consulted by letter senders.


12. Infinite Challenge

I watched this episode because of Park Bo Gum.



13. Taxi

I love how interviews felt in-depth, spontaneous and intimate.





14. Guesthouse Daughters

I watched this show mainly because of the guesting of Yonghwa and Jonghyun. Yonghwa's first guesting was heartbreaking. The second time he went on the show with Jonghyun, it was entertaining. I am happy that I watched this show. I was able to discover more about Lee Seung Gun, Lee Dae Hee and Park Si Yeon. Also, I am glad that Lee Tuk's hosting skill was recognized that he became a regular host of this show. I learned more about Junho too in this show. Lee Mi-sook is so funny :)



15. Brave Family

I discovered how industrious and kind Minhyuk and Seolhyun were.I saw a different side also of Myungsoo in this show. I was so surprised that Minhyuk got mad in this episode and was really touched when they made up.


16. Star Golden Bell

I watched this show because of SNSD and Kim Hyun Joong. They are so funny. I enjoyed too the quiz bee type segments. I was surprised that Taeyeon reached the finals.


17. Battletrip

I enjoyed this show because of Sandara. She was so good in promoting the Philippines twice in this show.



I watched this episode because of Jonghyun and I discovered Choi Tae joon in this show and their love for fried rice :D


18. Get it Beauty

This show made me appreciate Soyou and Hana Lee.



19. Cool Kiz on the Block

I watched this show because of Yuri, Sunghoon, and Minhyuk.


20. Barefooted Friends

I watched this show because of Kim Hyun Joong and discovered how disciplined and focused he was.


21. Entertainment Weekly

This show is like the The Buzz in the Philippines but they are more subtle in giving showbiz reports. I love the interview segments.


22. Arirang's Pops in Seoul

I love this show because the subtitles are automatic.


23. Guerilla Date

This show shows how huge fanbases are. The crowd makes me also feel excited.




24. Global Request: A Song for You

The games in this show are very entertaining.


25. Candy in my Ears

I was so sad that Lee Joon Gi and Park Min Young's episodes were cancelled due to LJG's confession that he was dating Jeon Hye Bin.

Here is my favorite episode of Jang Geun Seuk wherein he mentioned about a co-star he fell in love with and my guess is, that girl is SNSD Yoona.


26.  After School Club

This is one if the shows that made me love Arirang cable channel. I watched this show because of BTS.


27. Knowing Bros

I watched this show because of Yonghwa and Seohyun.Waiting for BTS' guesting.

28. Lipstick Prince

I watched this show because of Seohyun.

29. Island Trio

I watched this show because of Yonghwa and I was curious about Kim Hee Sun.

30. Law of the Jungle

This show reminded me a lot of my grandfather. Kim Byung Man is so amazing.Enjoyed this show a lot, the excitement, suspense, and thrill are incomparable.I learned a lot and the show enticed me to swim and study snorkeling, diving and rappeling.

I watched this because I was curious on how they convinced Yuri, Uee and Seolhyun to be part of this show.

I enjoyed the episodes wherein guests include BTS' Jin and Sunghoon.

This show made me appreciate Gong Myung and Cheng Xiao.

This is the clip that led me to trace Jin's guesting.


31. I Live Alone

I watched this show because of Sunghoon and I got hooked. He was a guest turned regular member. I enjoyed Hyun Moo's segment wherein it showed his struggle to be in style in every tv appearance.It is in his segment I learned how important airport fashion is for them.



This show made me appreciate Park Narae, Henry, Hye Jin, Hyun Min and Lee Si-eon.Kian is so funny.

The I live alone stories that I was entertained a lot were those of Kim Sarang, Daniel Henny, Sung Hoon, Henry and Taeyang.

32. You Heeyol's Sketchbook

I love raw performances and I thank Korean ent has this kind of show where artists can truly showcase their talents. Kpop idols sing and dance with live band. It is like MTV's Unplugged but not limited to acoustic session. I also love the 10-15 minute interview where Yu Heeyeol asks entertaining but informative questions.

I did a separate post on the performances that I liked the most.

This is my to go to show if I wanted to check further the talents of artists I am interested in following. I am hoping that BTS would appear on this show one day.

33. Fantastic Duo

This show is super amaaaaaaazing. Love the random play match a lot. The contestants are super talented.The way they harmonize made the version of the song more awesome. I am so surprised that there were lots if undiscovered great singers in South Korea.

I have nothing but applause for this show. My favorite episodes were the guestings of Taeyang and Ailee.Daebak!



Whenever I fail to find full copy via youtube of the above-mentioned shows, kshowonline is on the rescue for binge watching the shows on this list.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iDate

Bandmaster

Pinoy TV Shows