it's Thai...

I've often thought of making a list of Thai romcoms that I enjoyed but I never had the time actually to collect information about these movies until recently, I was triggered by the reviews comparing Kita Kita, a sleeper hit in the Philippines, to Korean drama tropes. A voice inside me would like to argue that the narrative feels like more of a Thai romcom.

Thai romcoms heavily explores the theme "soulmates".Though in reality, soulmates do not necessarily mean as destined lovers. 

What I like about Thai movies is that you obliviously immerse your world into the world of the characters in the film.You don't put your shoes into the film's characters- be a protagonist, antagonist or sidekick, but you feel a connection that would make you laugh, cry and scared from one moment to another. 

Thai movies' main come on was their comedy antics.I cringe on slapstick comedy but Thais have a way of making you endure those scenes and accept that those scenes were relevant in the development of the story.Just when you're about to die laughing, the mood shifts slowly to tear jerky parts with scary scenes in between and then they would make you laugh again and boom, it ends up with emptiness that you can't explain even if the resolution was a happy ending.

In short, Thai movies play on your vulnerability without your permission. The movies felt like an escape from your own emotions that you are unaware you're capable of expressing.

Here is the list of Thai Movies that I wish you'll try watching to experience that crazy roller coaster ride of emotions.Photos were taken from Google.


1. Crazy Little Thing called Love

Who wouldn't be able to relate to a re-telling of first love? This movie has a lot of school scenes that would make you recall your happiest and saddest high school memories -the joy of joining clubs, reviewing for exams, hanging out with your best buds, bickering with siblings, craving for attention from parents, being friends with your teachers, dealing with mean school mates or class mates, preparing for entrance exams, chasing/stalking your crush,reading dating tips, making silly attempts or wowmazing transformations to be the ideal man or woman of your crush, giving your best in any activity because you were inspired with hopes that you'll get noticed by your crush and endless dreaming about the future.

Thais often present the perspective of the hero and the heroine. Such retelling of what happened in the particular scene never fails to amuse me and scream, Whoah, so clever. I knew it or I didn't expect that.

The scenes are unpredictable that's why you anticipate the conflict but you don't know exactly how it will be executed. You watch the movie until the end to find if your guess was right that's why it hits you hard when the characters are in pain in resolving the conflict.

I cried a lot in this movie for the lack of good timing for both lead characters, hence, I expected more from the ending but I guess, not all happy endings need to be visualized, it must be felt and that's how you feel after achieving the most coveted dream right? You're not in an ecstatic frenzy. It is overwhelming that you feel nothing at all.


To keep in touch with high school friends, I believe is keeping in touch with the purest person you've known yourself.

Experiencing  your first heart break at your most courageous attempt

2. Fabulous 30

I love this movie a lot, perhaps I was ageing badly that's why I find every line in this film worth quoting. 


P'Ja's character resonates the ideals I have in mind and that perhaps is the reason why I watched this a number of times and I always feel hopeful that yeah this can happen. This movie surprisingly gave that positive vibe that somewhere out there, you mean the world to someone and it is a very comforting thought whenever it felt that nothing seems to be doin' right.

That age gap thing is truly bothersome and this movie, in a world with population crisis and the male to female ratio seemed unfavorable, provides that breather that hey, love is love so love when you can.

Women often looked for effort from men as an expression of love and in this movie, P'Ja often ignores Porasit's efforts which I can relate to why. That push and pull in P'Ja's heart while Por's consistent confession made this romcom overwhelming for me.

Hope the following screenshots help you digest what I am trying to explain :D























3. Peemak

All I can say is, wow, this kind of love exists and I am totally stupefied.



I am not fond of scary movies especially if the narrative have ghosts in it so at first I hesitated to watch this movie but my sister's constant prodding that this movie was her favorite, I watched it in broad daylight.The eerie vibe throughout the film made me struggle to keep my eyes open and ears attentive.

The laughter and those thrilling moments are truly enjoyable especially the boat part wherein the characters were trying to escape. I felt crazy laughing, scared and crying at the same time. I was on that mode, on repeat, laughing,scared, crying until that sudden shift that caught me by surprise, I was crying due to hopelessness. It was unexpected that it felt like I'm gonna explode out of sadness, of wonder, and my mind flashes the questions why and how without answer. I cannot get over this movie for a month.

I lost count on how many times I tried to guess who is the ghost in this story that's why when I finally found out who the ghost was I cried a lot. 

4. I fine. Thank you.Love you.

This is the funniest Thai romcom I had watched.


Typically, romcom leads kiss to intensify the romance- the fairytale like feels but I am amused that this movie has none but the charisma of the lead actors was overflowing.

I love the development of their characters wherein you followed both of them fall in love with little things.The damsel in distress scenes are cliche but what worked more for me was the effort of the heroine, Teacher Pleng, to study Engineering books without realizing that she has fallen in love. I love the sincerity shown when she almost cried when her former tutee, Kaya played by Sora Aoi,  pointed out her feelings and when she cried instead of saying yes when the hero, Jim, confessed his feelings.

The build up from the take you home song translation scene to Kaya's confrontation with Teacher Pleng via video call was so intense.I appreciate that silence between the lead characters. I love that this movie did not use the show me a sign, I won't do this trope, instead, the characters were given a chance to decide on their own which deviates from the soulmate theme but implying still that Pleng and Jim were soulmates after all, if you know what I mean. I love also how the love line between Teacher Pleng and Prek was used to show in contrast what kind of relationship can be like when you create your own destiny.

The references made to Cinderella are entertaining. I learned techniques in teaching conversations in English.What I can't get over with were the lizard scene and firework punishment, disgusting.

5. 30 Plus:Single on Sale

Chermarn/Laila Boomsayak who played Eing looked like Bea Alonzo. What I love about this movie is the simplicity of the hero. I envy Eing that she found a very caring person at the same time was given a chance to date her ideal man.


What I found exciting in this movie was the thrill of meeting again after an unknown period of time.I don't know why I always have a heavy heart over reunion of  long lost lovers.

6. Teacher's Diary

Another Laila Boomsayak film which brought me to tears. I was so moved by her dedication to teach in almost abandoned house boat. I love the exchanges she had with the replacement teacher and again their reunion at the end of the movie was very touching.Their struggles which they wrote in the diary were very relatable. This movie would make you admire teachers who fearlessly serve and care for students.


 7. Bangkok Traffic Love Story

The lead actress played her part so well in this movie that I recommend this to be watched by ahjummas who are desperate to find the love of their life. This film will make you laugh at her silly attempts to find Mr. Right but it'll prick your heart that yeah it does happen in real life that is why you can't just ignore or degrade the heroine's feelings.


I watched this a number of times and there are points I was not convinced that the hero was the right match but empathizing with the  heroine, you'll also wish that they end up together.

I was so amused with the support shown by the heroine's best friend to the point that her honeymoon was interrupted.

8. The Outrage

This movie which starred Mario Maurer as the Monk and Laila Boonsayak as the warlord's wife reminded me of Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon which was based on Ryonusuke Akutagawa's short story, In a Grove.

I love the costumes, music, gfx, sfx and production design. The camera work is commendable too.

The similarities in the exploration of the themes helped me understand the Japanese literary classic. The actors were able to play the characters so well that I found it difficult to guess on who is the culprit and philosophize on truth.

This is the only serious drama Thai film that I have watched so far.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iDate

Bandmaster

Koreanovelas (Part 1)