2021 Round Up





I enjoyed tons of movies, documentaries, and Korean dramas this year so I am just keeping a copy here of my thoughts about them.

Number 1 is the most recent film I have watched.




1. Holiday in the Wild
I saw the trailer of Holiday in the Wild and looked for it on Netflix. It is a rom-com movie but I fell in love with the elephants. They are so moving I cried a number of times.
I am not sure if this movie represented Zambia realistically. The Christmas celebration is heartwarming.
Overall, the elephants are incredibly charming. 🐘❤️ I hope I can respond to the call in the ending credits.
"Women are like elephants, they always remember." 🤔
P. S. Kristin's Charlotte in Sex and the City is the most likable character for me in that series.

2. Princess Switch 3
This is the best trilogy for a holiday film ever. It always offers something new and lovable about Vanessa Hudgens. The scenes are so funny and adorable. Truly matches the holiday vibe. Cheerful!

3. Shang-Chi

I am glad that the producers kept the "Asian speed" for the numerous fight scenes in Shang-chi.

Michelle Yeoh is ❤️.

4. Tick..Tick. Boom

RENT was first staged in the Philippines in 1999. I was about to graduate in high school when I read about it on a newspaper. It left an impression on me because I couldn't believe that Michael de Mesa was part of the cast. ( For me, he would always be Valiente.) The musical was shown a few more times but I never got the chance to watch it. (Lookin' back, I never planned to study theater in college 😄)

Then, this afternoon, I saw Vanessa Hudgens on Tick. Tick. Boom poster ad on Netflix. (I hate her in High School Musical but I love her in Princess Switch series.💕)

To cut the long story short, I watched the film just to find out if her squeaky voice improved and WOW, this film totally surprised me. Ratatouille moment! 👏💡

This biopic about Jonathan Larson, the creator of RENT, was absolutely heart-rending.😭

One of his biggest musical influences was Stephen Sondheim. Those who know Stephen Sondheim (West Side Story and Sweeny Todd) are mourning right now. I am sure they would miss him more if they watched this. From one musical genius to another ❤️

Things I 💜 about this film:
✅ Songs (the lyrics are superb)
✅ The actors are excellent, especially Andrew Garfield. He is amazing! (Far from his Spiderman stint, imagining a what-if with Emma Stone's LalaLand, Oh I ship this couple before)
✅ Dialogues
✅ Themes (capitalism, AIDS, "getting paid for art or creativity", friendship, - overall, he is ahead of his time)
✅ Play production and advertising insights

Warning: If you are not into talkies or monologues, you'll find the first hour boring. 

This film is not as relatable as The Greatest Showman but if you take a chance on it, you'll realize that people with extraordinary gifts do not waste them even if it takes a lifetime of pruning, rejection, and discouragement.

5. Squid Game
I was impressed with Park Hae Soo in the Prison Playbook so I am not surprised that he nailed the challenge in this drama to pull at one's heartstrings.

I had watched Lee Jung Jae as a villain in The Thieves and the Housemaid. I barely liked him in Il Mare so it is refreshing to see him as a good person in Squid Game.

Jung Hoyeon is phenomenal in this drama. Her acting is so convincing you would love and hate her at the same time. All the characters are not flat. Even the most disgusting characters have a story to tell that you would be interested to see how they end in the drama.

There are so many memes available online that I am not surprised anymore with the twists but I can say that the performances of the actors are superb. This drama is well-thought and well-designed. The details of the games, the sharp dialogues, cinematography, music, lighting, costumes, and sets- everything is on point. The most amusing or magical aspect of this drama is that uncanny connection to social experiences despite cultural differences.

I love how foreshadowing was explored in this drama.

6. Hometown Cha Cha Cha
Hwa-Jeong is the best. Appreciation should be expressed in action and words. Don't send mixed signals to children.

As promised, this show is a drama about healing.

Everyone can be hurt and has the right to stay away from people whom you feel are toxic or distracting during your grieving period.

There is no limit to the healing period because it's your pain, it's your healing process.


Other people can’t guess your pain especially if you yourself don’t want to open up or you don’t want to be asked. (Very Hong)


There are those who can wait like Hye-jin and there are those like Cho Hui who will just accept it and move on. (I hope that if you've found the Bora of your life, don't take it for granted like Yeong-gyuk)


People who were abandoned by their loved ones also grieve because they can't fathom why their presence and help are not enough.


If you want to be part of the lives of people who are important to you, you must be as eager as Namsuk that even if you are rejected, you love them unconditionally.


Tolerance is different. Hwajeong calls Namsuk out when she's gossiping. That's what a real friend is.


Love is expressed in words and action. (Yun-Gyeong must be consistent that is why she is angry with Geum-cheol)


Life is too short to go through the motions. WASTED TIME. (It is now or never like Juri)


For me, the secrets to healing are:


1. be honest with yourself and those you love (no job in Seoul, move to the province)

2. forgive yourself (Chief Hong and Doha)

3. When you have chosen someone you want to be with through the hardships and comforts of life and are willing to grow with you, make an effort. (Eun Chul and Pyo Miseon)


Sometimes forgiveness is not given like Seon-A, and it's up to you whether you become like Gamri's son or move on like I-jun and writer Wang.


To my friends, I hope we are Gamri, MatYi and Sook Ja.


7. My Name, Nevertheless, The World of the Married

Am I the only one who gets annoyed with Han So Hee because even if the scene is happy, sad, scared or angry, there is only one facial expression?


8. Hospital Playlist

The main characters are so cute and funny. I can't get enough of them ❤️ Best Kdrama 💯. They release their new episode every Thursday which feels like forever. I love Songhwa so much in this drama. She is so smart, caring, and objective. I love how she listens to one's concerns and solve them.


Ik-jun's "Good job" and Ik-sun's "Thank you" cracked me up. My siblings and I talk like them.


Rosa's dream in the Korean drama, Hospital Playlist, was to walk the CAMINO DE SANTIAGO. That was the first time I heard of it.


9. The Witch's Diner

Illogical. Dragging. Contrived sequences BUT

It would make you reflect on

the times you were desperate
the wish you wanted the most
the sacrifice you are willing to make

This drama has 8 episodes and there are some nice conversations about happiness, choices, compassion versus self-love, and perspective on gratitude and revenge.

It repeatedly points out that bad things happen to people. These bad times, risks, mistakes, and failures are necessary to achieve meaningful happiness.


10. The Prison Playbook

When you feel tired and hopeless, don't beat yourself up. Blame the world instead. - Jehyeok Kim, Prison Playbook ❤️💯


11. Racket Boys

This drama made me fall in love with badminton. I like Kim Sang-Kyung from What happens to my Family so I am delighted to watch him in another comedy series. All the actors are so good, you would feel like you are part of the tournament. I love how this drama normalizes failure. The dialogues are well-written especially on those parts the characters need to give comfort to each other. It is a feel-good series that I don't mind rewatching multiple times. I really wish there is season 2.


12. The Chair

The Chair. (very symbolic )

This dramedy is composed of six 30-40 minute episodes of "Anne with an E feels" but with more pronounced gender politics, cultural and societal issues.


I like this series because of:

✅English language (rollin' with beautiful words)
✅ Teaching Strategies
✅ Literature and Social Media
✅ Sandra Oh ❤️

The characters are relatable but their flaws although realistic remain as a burden at the end of the show. I am not sure if this has another season because for me it did not inspire the difference I wish this show should make. It has relevant talking points but I hope that the show can do more than that. Just like its last episode, it is merely scratching the surface.

I think the audience is ready to hear them.

Juju's interpretation of Dias de Los Muertos is better than what adults overthink.


13. Innocent Moves

Innocent Moves (Searching for Bobby Fischer) is available on Netflix until August 31.
I like how this movie explored the type of parenting that could truly support the needs of a child.
Normally, adults fall into the trap of pushing kids too hard to harness their potential until they lose their love and interest in things that really matter to them.
Joan Allen as a protective mom is admirable in this movie. Please watch so that you'll know why.
I watched The Queen's Gambit a long time ago and I appreciated it more after watching this true-to-life story of Josh Waitzkin, the supposed prodigy of Bobby Fischer.
The juxtaposition of Bobby Fischer's life and Josh's journey as the youngest US chess player is interesting.

✅Chess ❤️


14. 12 Strong

I watched this movie mainly because of Chris Hemsworth and I am glad did. It was very timely. I learned something about the war in Afghanistan and how families are affected by this tragedy. The dialogues, the pacing, the scenery, the shots- they are seamless as if you are part of the soldiers' journey. It was one of those action movies where you get to listen to different perspectives.


15. Kissing Booth

I watched all three movies and I must say that this is one of those movies that gets better and better. Here are the things I like the most about this movie.


✅ Bucket List
✅ Beach house
✅ Brilliant Montage
✅ Best friend
✅ Closing credits

The parting scene between Elle and Lee was so clever, touching, and amusing.

I felt drained for Elle. 😪 Goodbye, Noah. Sayonara, Kissing Booth!

16. Serendipity
The most ridiculous movie I've ever watched but I keep on rewatching this multiple times.
⛄
Because of this movie, I looked for this classic novel as well. 📖

17. Family History
This was Michael V's film directorial debut and I liked the way he fused animation in it. Some of the jokes are not that funny, the execution is forced, but overall, the movie delivers a strong message about trust in marriage.

In short, the things I enjoyed in this film are:
✅Animation
✅ Coloring
✅ Nonie Buencamino

18. Amazing Hotels: Life Beyond the Lobby
Please have me, Grand Resort Bad Ragaz.😄
I am okay with being the chief hugger ❤️
Oh, the life I want.

This series has the most beautiful shots. I love everything in it. It is highly educational, and entertaining. The hosts are smart, funny, relatable, and energetic.

19. The Movies That Made Us
One of the best documentaries I've watched on Netflix. The editing is on point. Oh, everything is incredible and nostalgic. The resources, the clips, the backstories, the humor- they are all interesting that you would finish the whole series in one sitting. I started with Back to the Future until I realized that I watched the entire series. I highly recommend this wonderful documentary.

20. Dinner Mate
I watched this drama because I loved the second lead couple in Crash Landing on You, Seo Ji-Hye and Kim Jung-Hyun. This drama is not outstanding but it gives you enough reason to watch until the end. I liked the way this drama presented how influencers, producers, and vloggers work. I was expecting that I will fall in love with dishes but I didn't find something worth bragging.

21. Move to Heaven
This drama is so unique. I love the way it teaches the viewers about life and death, relationships, and motivation. I had watched Tang Joon-sang in Crash Landing on You and Racket Boys and he is an excellent actor. His performance in this drama as Han Geu-Ru is so memorable and adorable.

Ji-jin Hee is truly a great actor. He made this drama extra special.

22. He's All That


He's All That is a gender-flipped sequel to the 1999 teen cult movie, She's All That.

It is still the same chick flick formula with flat characters but the dialogues are better than other teenage movies with bad makeovers.

✅The train station reminded me of my most fave scene in Alias
✅ Horses
✅ Sixpence None the Richer's OST Kiss Me 💋
✅ Photography
✅ College or Gap life 🤔 nice conversation but it could've been better
✅Cobra Kai references
✅ Rachel Leigh Cook - you won't notice her in this movie and I am disappointed 😔
✅ Addison and Tanner ❤️



23. Navillera

This drama is so inspiring. I love ballet and the way the main actor persevered in this movie is so touching and relatable. I waited for the main dance and was extremely satisfied. I love how the actors executed it. The twist was really effective. Song Kang is so handsome.


24. Space Sweepers

I watched this mainly because I was intrigued with the inclusion of a character speaking in Filipino. This movie is exciting and entertaining. You just have to believe in the plot that it exists. The characters are interesting but from time to time, I can't help but feel as if I am watching Guardians of the Galaxy Asian version.


25. Wish Dragon

It is a feel-good movie for kids, I kept on thinking that it was like Aladdin re-imagined. The colors pop, there are magical moments, but there are dragging scenes. I dislike the part where the storyline is confused about whether to make the father of the heroine a good guy or a bad one.


26. Fatherhood

I waited for this movie because I thought it was unique and timely. I was not disappointed. It was a good movie but fell short on the execution about the love angle.


27. Vincenzo

Song Joong-Ki is impressive in this drama. I felt his chemistry with Jeon Yeo-bin. The scenes have the right blend of action, suspense, drama, and humor. All the actors played their part with flying colors. I never tried watching Money Heist, but this one is more entertaining than Army of Thieves and Army of the Dead.


28. The Gifted

I watched Chris Evans' movie "The Gifted" on Netflix. It was so good, I watched it twice in a row and even PM'ed people whom I think should not miss this. Amused with Trachtenberg method 😅
The best part of this movie is how he explained religion. I love how his character emphasized using your freedom to think for yourself.


29. Ocean's 8,11,12 and 13
I rewatched all of them that felt I memorized all the dialogues already. Love these movies. Always interesting, always entertaining.

30. Confidential Assignment, Memories of Alhambra, and Crash Landing of You
I am a huge fan of Hyun Bin so I keep watching all of his work.

31. Next in Fashion

Next in Fashion on Netflix is 10x better than Project Runway. Super love the top 8 designers. It felt like I took a crash course in sewing and running a clothing business after watching 10 episodes. The guest judges are incredible! Episode 4 was the best! Unfortunately, its season 2 was canceled 😔 I hope Netflix picks it up again.
Congrats
Daniel and Minju ❤️🎉

32. Yes Day
Jennifer is awesome as always. ❤️ I can relate to this because I am more of a No than Yes girl in our house. 😅

Alias fan forever ❤️ Her incredible skills always show up in any movie. Mother-daughter conflict always makes me cry.

33. Hansel and Gretel Secret Magic
the animation is outstanding. It felt real. I highly recommend for kids - fun and simple plot.

34. Little

I expected a lot in this movie. I waited for this but the scenes were not well-executed,  dry and slow. Dialogues were poorly constructed, unfit to be watched by kids. I love the moral lesson though.

35. The Con Artist

Watched the Thai film, The Con Artist on Netflix. It was so clever, hilarious and very suspenseful. I couldn't stand the thrill while watching the movie but it was so great.

So handsome 👇. He looks like Siwon. Baifern is ❤️


36. To All the Boys: Always and Forever

Out of the three movies, I love the latest movie because of the following:
1. Margot and Kitty are sibling goals.
2. Cool Playlist (As soon as I heard SNSD's Genie in the opening, I knew I'm in for a treat. Other songs that are nostalgic for me are Spice Girl's Wannabe, Oasis' Don't Look Back in Anger, Lauv's Like me better, Toploader' s Dancing in the Moonlight, and their theme song)
3. I like that Lara Jean decides faster and more honestly in this movie.
4. I love how the actors interpreted the characters' turmoil especially when the leads broke up. Great scene! At first, I was disgusted by the plot. Why should Lara Jean follow Peter to Stanford? I would have done the same thing IF I find the NYU option better than Berkeley. (Hmm, not sure if this will be my struggle in my next life 😄)
5. I love that feeling of being new in a city and excited to explore, that feeling of falling in love with the place. Their NYU trip is my kind of trip - food trip, museums, and parks
6. Their Korean vacation showed activities I like to do in Seoul which includes biking, singing at karaoke, visiting Namsan Tower with locks, and of course, shopping for face masks hahaha)
7. I love their OBB and CBB, big letters for production people is always a plus for me!
8. I think Peter should take Lit because he writes better than Lara hahaha. His meet-cute revelation is so lovely!
9. This movie made references to my fave rom-com classic flicks such as Serendipity, You've Got Mail, Wedding Planner, The Bachelor, and more.
10. It has accurate displays of supportive language. I love the dialogues. They are on point. There are several examples of how to provide comfort as a friend, sister, daughter, father, brother, stepdaughter, acquaintance and a lot more.
11. I love Lara Jean's fashion. It reminds me of SNSD's I got a Boy era - bandana as headband or Shan Cai style scrunchie, dress with sneakers and backpack.
12. I love the Diner house scenes. It reminds me of Meg Ryan's When Harry Met Sally, one of the best romcoms ever.
13. I can relate to Lara Jean in a lot of things especially about her love for writing, movies, music, and sweets.
14. This movie is full of surprises!

37. Gone Girl
Rosamund Pike is outstanding. She is a brilliant actress. I hate Ben Affleck because of what he did to Jennifer Garner in real life but in this movie, it felt like his role here is a representation of how difficult it was to deal with him. The plot is interesting, entertaining, suspenseful, and performed well by the actors. Such a crazy movie!

38. I Care A Lot
I waited for this film because it has Alias vibe in it. Grabe, this is the first time I wanted the heroine/villainess to die. She is so bad! Rosamund's acting is topnotch but the plot made Peter's character disappointing.

39. Cobra Kai
When I was young, I thought Ralph Macchio was the most handsome actor that even Tom Cruise from Top Gun couldn't match. Whenever I hear Peter Cetera's Glory of Love, it reminds me of his Karate Kid film.
In this series, Johnny is more handsome hahaha. This sequel is so clever that it focused on Johnny's perspective.
It was nice to watch again some old clips of Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi.

The series was so intense I stopped watching it in the second season. I couldn't stand teens hurting each other that bad.

40. Sisyphus and The Call
I didn't finish both. They were starred by Park Shin Hye. The Cal is hair-rising, super scary while Sisyphus has dragging scenes. I lost interest in the plot.

41. Waikiki
The first season is so funny while the second one is not that much.

42. Rurouni Kenshin
I rewatched all these movies. All of them are exciting and unbelievably beautiful. They are beyond marvelous. I was so fascinated with the prequel and the final movie. They are superbly executed.

43. Lupin 2
I enjoyed the first season so I expected a lot in Season 2. The funny thing was, I accidentally watched the final episode so when I was trying to watch the previous episodes, I was kind of uninterested because I knew what happened. Overall, I would've enjoyed it more if the mystery was still there. I find the plot is clever.

There are other series I watched from other platforms like:

True Beauty, Mr. Queen, So I Married an Anti-fan and My Roommate is A Gumiho
Love Scenery (IQiYi)- If I have free time again, I'll make a write-up about them.

There are other movies that did not make this list but I'll try to update this as soon as I remember them.

Right now, I am super excited to watch Emily in Paris Season 2 which will start tomorrow, Dec. 22.


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iDate

Bandmaster

Pinoy TV Shows