Must Watch on Netflix 2020

I am glad that Netflix offers a wide variety of films from all over the world. Though there are movies that have questionable content, I would like share the list that made my free time worthwile.


 Animated Movies


  1. Studio Ghibli


    There are 19 titles available. So far, I have only watched eight of them. I noticed that all of the films do not follow the Western structure of storytelling wherein there should be a conflict and a resolution. The films were not time-bound. Also, I love that women were not placed as accessories to the plot. In most films, they are actually given the lead spot.


     The films had that mystery or unpredictability fused with the uncanny enchantment to immerse yourself in the world of make-belief. The themes were explored in a way that it resonated deeply and for me, it is a unique experience that I attach my own memories to each scene.


  1. When Marnie Was There


       This was the third SG movie I watched but it left the most lasting impression on me.




       This was the most intriguing animated film I have watched because I wanted to find out badly if Marnie was a ghost and when I learned the twist in the story, I couldn’t stop crying. I couldn’t explain the extreme sorrow that was displayed in this movie that I felt thankful for having our own Marnies in our lives. Until now, just by looking at the poster, I can recall the excitement of Anna whenever she goes to the dock to look for Marnie’s boat.


  1. My Neighbor Totoro

 

      It was the first film that I watched on the list because I felt sorry for my previous Japanese trainees for not having the time to watch it. It would have been an interesting discussion. I wished I had seen Spirited Away first before this film so that I would understand better the soot spirits hahaha.





    What I love about this film is the seamless animation of intricate details on each character and scene. My favorite scenes are the raining part and the arrival of the Catbus. At my age, I never thought I would still be amused by it. In fact, I can’t hold myself to my seat. I wanted to be part of the adventure. It felt nice to feel like a child again. I find this experience similar to what I’ve felt after reading the French classic, The Little Prince.


  1. Spirited Away

 

      To remember one’s name holds a special place in my heart. Having taught hundreds of students in almost two decades, I always feel obligated to at least recall their first names and mention it if ever I had a chance encounter with them. In my heart, my students are special and it is my way of showing them that I always believed in them. For this reason, I found this film extremely lovable.


      Additionally, there are other literary themes and devices that are exciting to discuss such as the use of a bathhouse, pigs, giant baby, and other creatures. I was born in the year of the Pig and I have this unrestrained love for food in which this film reminds me not to be a glutton hahaha.







      I also loved that it tackled mortal sins, sibling rivalry and environmentalism. There are lots of things to love in this film. Each scene is a showstopper.


  1. The Tale of Princess Kaguya


When I taught Literature, I spent much time on Mythology and Folklore. I find stories that connect you to nature the most satisfying because it can invigorate you even without words. I hope you get what I mean by that. If not, try watching this film because it gives you that combination of learning nuggets of wisdom as you explore the beauty of nature. I highly recommend this to be watched by young ladies who are about to choose their path in life. On the side, Princess Kaguya's origin reminded me Thumbelina.





  1. The Wind Rises


            I love films that are based on history or real stories of people. It made me reflect on what kind of people I meet and what opportunities am I given to be successful on my own or to be part of something big. I love how this film attempted to explain how cruel World War II was from Japan's perspective. It is enlightening and insightful!




There is a similar scene like this in Enola Holmes.


I feel like I was the sickly girl in this film :)

       

  1. Ponyo


       I have seen the trailer a number of times and all along I thought Ponyo was a boy. This animated feature was the most unpredictable of the list I had watched. I watched this film until the end without the slightest idea how Ponyo will become human. I fell in love with its creative visualization of things I never imagined can be that beautiful. For example, the green bucket was never an interesting object for me nor would I expect ham which is tasty and juicy in real life can be irresistibly mouthwatering in a film. The vicarious experience of swimming in the vast ocean and seeing a gorgeous mermaid under the moonlight were enchanting scenes. To say that this film is beyond imaginative is an understatement. 







  1. Princess Mononoke

    I had high expectations with this movie when I watched it because I met a trainee who spoke of this film with much love and enthusiasm. She didn’t disappoint me!


    I was extremely surprised at how bold yet enigmatic this film was. This has the most well-developed elements of storytelling. I fell in love with its characters, the compelling justification for the characterization and build up of the story, the way empowerment was juxtaposed and the incorporation of fantasy elements. Again, the way this film emphasized the importance of nature is always an attractive feature for me.








8. Kiki’s Delivery Service


    This was the second film that I watched on the list and I was drawn to it because of Kiki’s broom. I was intrigued by it. 





This is so kawaii :D



    This movie is perfect for people who are starting a new life in a different town. There’s this sense of ownership and confidence that you can do the same. I love the vicarious experience of keeping your goal in mind at the same time exploring the opportunities in a strange territory.



Other Animated Features on Netflix


1. A Whisker Away


    I watched this film with zero expectations but I ended up crying a number of times throughout the film. I am not sure why films that talk about souls, reincarnation, afterlife and the like resonate with me. I guess I am an old soul. It felt like I had lived as a cat numerous lifetimes before.






2. Weathering With You


    It was another film that I didn’t expect that I would cry a lot. I love how this film explained the myth behind rain and sunshine. The part where Hodaka was shot scared the hell out of me. When I watched this, it felt like I was in the movie, too and every part was like an old memory for me.








3. A Silent Voice


    This is another tearjerker. This film successfully explained how damaging bullying is and as a teacher, I have always felt that I have that responsibility to check and care for students who can’t cry for help. Different types of friendship were superbly explored in this film, too. It is the kind of film I don't want to watch again because I will go through the same sad experience.






Action films


1. Extraction

Of course, Chris Hemsworth is always fun to watch. This film is action-packed, unfortunately morbid and realistically bloody. The violence is not tolerable but the plot has amusing twists. I would wait for the next movie.




Why do I fall for wistful eyes all the time? 


2. The Old Guard
I have always loved Charlize Theron ever since her Sweet November days. The fight choreography is superb. The plot is engaging except for the explanation about God which for me is a bit off. I will wait for the sequel because I am interested to find out how will Quinn reunite with Andromache.




3. Anna
This is a Luc Besson film. Despite his controversy, this movie delivers the kind of action that is missing in Umbrella Academy. Sasha Luss is incredibly awesome as the assassin longing for normal life. This reminded me of my immense love for Jennifer Garner's Alias. The disguises here are so fashionable. Helen Mirren is amazing, of course.





4. Enola Holmes

I expected more from gorgeous Henry Cavill and Sam Claflin but it is okay because Millie Bobby Brown and Helena Bonham Carter are always lovely. I love how this film centered on female's right but more of an opportunity to choose her own life path. Opportunity in the sense that, women have been given the power to choose all the time and sometimes the limitations were made by not choosing wisely. That makes the difference!



Rom-Com Flicks


1. The Princess Switch (1) and The Princess Switched Again (2)




   I disliked Vanessa Hudgens in High School Musical but her choices in movie roles as she grew more mature made her more adorable for me. These movies are lighthearted, fun and just right for the holidays :D

2. Kissing Booth 1 &2

These movies taught me what second hand embarrassment is and what it is like to be torn between your best friend and the love of your life.




  1. To all the Boys I’ve Loved before (1) and P.S. I still Love you (2)


    Same as Kissing Booth feels. The difference is, Lana was always insecure of everything.




4. Blind Date

    This French film combined two things that I love: puzzles and piano.





5. DJ Cinderella

        The plot maybe familiar but I always admire the effort of reinventing the scenes giving it a fresh take. It is lovely to hear the actors spoke in Portuguese.




6. Other Holiday family Movies

I love holiday Hallmark like movies. That's why I didn't include in this list those holiday films on Netflix such as :

Christmas Made to Order (Mean Girls' Jonathan Bennet was engaged in real life :))



The Knight Before Christmas


Holidate (Australian movies are great!)



Trilogy : A Christmas Prince, A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding, A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby.




How I wish Netflix streams Macaulay Culkin's staple Christmas movies: Home Alone series :D
 

Korean Series


I tried not to watch a lot of dramas this year but my sisters were hooked so there were times I couldn't help but watch with them. There's a huge hype on "It's Okay not to be okay " and "Itaewon Class", however, my heart is not ready for them :)


1. Crash Landing on You


I watched this six months after it aired and there's still hype on it. I dislike Son Ye Jin at first because she was partnered before with Lee Min Ho and I had a huge crush on him. Now, I can't get enough of the BinJin couple. This series made me cry for the second leads as well.



My favorite scene.





2. The King: Eternal Monarch


The cast is absolutely amazing. Kim Go Eun as always is an outstanding actress. She can effectively transform into any character. I don't mind if Lee Min Ho likes her for real. I love them. Woo Do-hwan is a revelation here. I love how this drama explored time in parallel worlds which involved a lot of mathematics, hahaha. This is so suspenseful. The running time is so short. I wish each episode was longer. I love the magic it has on me every time the TIME stops. I wish there is season 2.





This reminds me of the iconic tunnel scene in Goblin.

He is so funny and handsome.


3. When the Camellia Blooms


I watched this because of the hype for the age gap love theme but I ended up liking the show because of the moral lessons about helping people and being kind. It was enlightening!




4. My Mister


This is an old drama of IU. I just tried one episode and I got hooked on how clever her character is in this drama. This drama made me feel her pain, misery and all the gloomy stuff in life especially her unconditional love for a man she can't be with and she always does the right thing. She was hopeless just like her character in Moonlovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo.





5. Kingdom

I dislike horror themed dramas but this thriller is addictive. It was so suspenseful. The characters are amazing, the pacing is fast and the scenes are convincingly believable. I can't wait for Season 3 or its prequel with Gianna Jun.






6. Startup


 I have always hated Suzy because she used to be Lee Min Ho's gf, hahaha. I watched this because of the Team Good Boy trend hahaha.


This girl...

Team Good Boy hahaha...

Do San will always be for Bok Joo :) I am glad Stephanie is here. I love her in K2 a lot.


Western Series


1. Anne with an E


This is the kind of series I would watch repeatedly and every time I do so, I would learn a new word. It is a huge treat for a bookworm like me. It is an outstanding drama for all ages. Marilla is the most powerful, fair and understanding woman I have ever seen. I love everything in this show. Superb casting!




My most favorite scene


2. Emily in Paris

    There maybe criticisms about this series but I learn a lot from it especially on the latest trends on advertising. Emily's relationship with Sylvie reminds me of the love-hate partnership of Constance and Rachel in Unreal. It is heartbreaking to see Camille hurt here because she is so lovable in this drama as well as Mindy. I have a lot of realizations in this drama. That's why I will wait for its second season. Oh Emily and Gabriel, please choose well!

Enchante!






wistful eyes...


3. Queen's Gambit

    I am stoked to find a series dedicated to chess. I definitely enjoyed the explanation on how chess works especially when they name the moves they make. I knew now that I lost a chess practice not knowing what Scholar's mate was :D. I love how her opponents turned friends helped her win the tournament.






Old hits


  1. The Replacements


Thank you Netflix because I had been looking for this film for decades now :D I finally watched it. I am currently writing a script for Under Armour and it felt good to learn that the brand became famous because it outfitted this movie :D Awesome :D I used the famous music background in this movie in my radio projects when I was in college :D Stop counting the years :D




2. The Holiday

This movie has all the things I love: mass communications :D


3. Ocean's 8

All my favorite actresses are in this movie. This is so clever and fun. 



In case, you would like to watch more of Noah Centineo, here are some of his Netflix originals:


1. Swiped

2. SPF-18

3. The Perfect Date

4. Sierra Burgess is a Loser

5. To All the Boys I've Loved Before

6. To All the Boys: PS I Still Love You



I will add more details here as soon as I have free time again. Have fun watching!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iDate

Bandmaster

Pinoy TV Shows